Talk

Advanced search

Maternity cover query

(3 Posts)
PatMustardsBigTool Sun 14-May-17 20:27:09

I am currently working a maternity cover that started in January. The post holder is due to return December 2017/January 2018, but of course this could be earlier.

I was informed on Friday that she wants to go part time when she returns, but no decision on this has been made by the head yet.

I haven't been able to speak to anyone about what this would mean for me from September-December at the start of the new school year. Currently I'm on a full time timetable (secondary), but from September would this fall in line with a part time as that is what the post holder is hoping to secure for when she returns? I'm confused!

Hoping to get an appointment with the head/deputy next week, but grateful for any insights, anecdotes, whatever in the meantime! Thanks!

SlapperPJ Sun 14-May-17 21:28:59

I don't think anyone can help you really as there surely are so many variables- it depends upon
1) Dates/hours the post older is requesting
2) Whether the school can accomodate her hours request
3) What other time table requirements the school may have
4) What other (if any) vacancies the school may have/anticipate having.

What does your contract say? Are you on a full time contract until Dec? Then surely the school has to abide by that. Or is it F/T until Sept and then to be renegotiated - in which case you have to renegotiate it.

MrsBartlettforthewin Mon 29-May-17 11:34:08

If they let her go part time would you want to job share when she returns? Then you'd be still on full time until she returns iyswim. Also if you were employed on a full time contract then that should stand until her return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now