Talk

Advanced search

Drinking in school

(30 Posts)
MeredithLogue Sat 13-May-17 09:14:14

Found out someone was drinking in school, celebrating their birthday, not classroom based but pupils, staff about apparently. Would this be frowned upon in your school?

ASauvingnonADay Sat 13-May-17 09:20:39

During the school day or after? We drink at evening events but never during the day. I don't think it is appropriate.

TeaBelle Sat 13-May-17 09:21:58

Bottle of prosecco for an 18th?

kel1493 Sat 13-May-17 09:23:36

When did this happen?
If after school when pupils/ students had left then fine.
Though it should never have happened during the day.

MeredithLogue Sat 13-May-17 09:23:57

During the school day.

ASauvingnonADay Sat 13-May-17 09:26:00

Assume you mean adult/member of staff?

Piratesandpants Sat 13-May-17 09:27:36

It's very British to get over excited about alcohol - either with comments like this or with excessive drinking.
If it was a little celebration glass of fizz how very refreshing to see normal behaviour in relation to alcohol - which most other nations seem to mange. (Yawn)
But I'm sure others will be along to get hysterical...

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sat 13-May-17 14:23:07

I taught in France a few years ago and wine was served with lunch ( for the teachers) in the canteen, shared pupils and staff. How times have changed... In our school alcohol only on INSET day (after last day of term), prosecco in depts.

MumBod Sat 13-May-17 14:26:03

Blimey, I remember my English Language teacher in the 1990s bringing a bottle of ouzo to the lesson and sharing it out.

I remember losing the feeling in my face.

Times change.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 13-May-17 20:46:33

We are not allowed to drink on the school premises or have open bottles of alcohol on the premises; it's in our contracts. Nor are we allowed to pop out for a pint or whatever at lunchtime.

Yet at any event to which parents are invited (plays, concerts, carol service, prize giving, etc.) which are all held on school premises, the wine and beer flows freely and some members of SMT get embarrassingly drunk within the first 15 minutes.

goldopals Sat 13-May-17 23:16:20

We have happy hour in the staffroom every Friday Arvo and the beer fridge is kept unlocked so if you wanted to, you could have some at any time, although this isn't usually done.

We also have a staff party at Sports Day which involves quite a lot of alcohol being consumed on school premises

heavenlypink Sat 13-May-17 23:25:10

Haven't done this but would love too!

Wolfiefan Sat 13-May-17 23:31:35

I don't understand. Pupils drinking or staff or admin?
A glass of Buck's Fizz won't kill anyone but tequila shots are best avoided at work! grin

Primaryteach87 Sat 13-May-17 23:32:46

Alcohol not uncommon at end of term etc but only after end of school day.

Squishedstrawberry4 Sat 13-May-17 23:34:43

More details

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 08:23:38

We can't drink during the school day.
We can drink in school premises but that is after school when no children are around; although at things like the Christmas Fayre we can drink even if children are there - they sell mulled wine etc

ifeelcraptonight Sun 14-May-17 08:25:10

Who was drinking, staff or pupil?

Our authority don't allow drinking alcohol at all in school premises at any time at all.

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Sun 14-May-17 08:28:30

We're not allowed to drink on school premises.

5 or so years ago, some Y13's got drunk at lunchtime. They were sent home.
H&S

RedStripeIassie Sun 14-May-17 08:29:47

I remember when you knocked on the staff room door and wafts of smoke would billow out grin.

Teachers weren't bother about drinking pupils in 6th form. We used to go to the pub sometimes with teachers on a Friday lunch. Sounds crazy now.

DramaInPyjamas Sun 14-May-17 08:29:56

The original post indicates towards it being the pupils, not the staff drinking.

NearlyEaster Sun 14-May-17 08:34:54

We shared a bottle of something sparkling between 10 people a few weeks ago to celebrate a significant birthday.

And we've done similar to celebrate a retirement or passing an inspection.

Not enough for any impact on H&S or teaching.

That's fine with SLT at our school.

NearlyEaster Sun 14-May-17 08:36:21

Sorry, missed the pupils bit. That would not be OK. They're allowed to drink at their leaving prom if 18+ though.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Sun 14-May-17 08:47:49

Frowned upon between lessons.(though many times its been a temptation😏)
Kids though-no. In fact none consumed on school premises during school day.
I remember 6th formers going to pub at same time as staff, both pretending not to see each other.

Shockers Sun 14-May-17 08:52:40

I took it as meaning a staff member... maybe someone in the office?

One glass of bubbly for a big birthday wouldn't bother me. If it was more, or a regular thing, I'd be concerned.

Tattsyrup Sun 14-May-17 09:12:13

We've had Buck's Fizz after school to celebrate an anniversary (the school's anniversary).
We also have our end of year party at school in the summer, which always involves significant amounts of alcohol, but that's after all the children have gone home.
The majority of our parents are Muslim, so we don't do mulled wine at Christmas or wine at special events, or similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now