Talk

Advanced search

Applying to a school I've just finished placement at?!

(8 Posts)
AlmostNQT Fri 12-May-17 14:38:30

Hello Wise mumsnetter teachers/ex-teachers.

I'm after some advice!

My dream job has just been advertised; I finished placement there in January and I couldn't dream of a better school to do my NQT year at.

Apart from being a bit unreasonably miffed that I haven't automatically been offered the job (The head always said if he had a job I was more than welcome to it) any advice?!

It is an independent school so are they legally obliged to not just offer a job to someone and have to professionally advertise?

Throughout my application and (hopefully) interview, do I need to not talk about my time in the school and knowing the children so well? (The interview children would be my class I had on placement for a whole term!) I also know the children in the class below who would be my class in September!

I really am desperate for this job!!! No one from the school let me know it was being advertised, despite being quite close to a few teachers, do they not want me to work there?!?!

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 12-May-17 15:09:48

The other teachers might not even know themselves that the role is being advertised. Try not to overthink it. I am afraid when people move on (even after a few months) they do get forgotten about. Alternatively the Governing Body may have asked for it to be advertised. In our area a number of higher level teachers are being made redundant and being replaced with cheaper teachers. they may want to see what level of responses they get.

One thing I did think is that it might not be helpful if the interview class is a class of kids who know you as they may not respond as they would to someone new (i.e. be too over familiar or more likely to play up). Do you think you can control a situation like this?

Apply - and good luck - give it your best shot.

Haveasay Sat 13-May-17 00:26:30

The school would have to advertise the job, but it could very much work in your favour that you know the school so well. Give it a go!

Floralnomad Sat 13-May-17 00:29:23

Why not just ring the HT and see ask if they would be interested in you applying or whether they are looking for an experienced teacher .

WelliesAndPyjamas Sat 13-May-17 07:47:58

As a pp said, don't overthink it 🙂 Don't panic before you have even begun!

If it is a job and school that appeal to you, and you meet the person spec, than just go for it with all you're worth! The ht/governors may well have felt that it is always worth advertising because you never know what 'gems' might apply, increasing the chances of getting the best possible teacher for the children. They may also have thought that if you were still available and looking for work, that you would have been checking for vacancies at their school. Sometimes people forget, in their busy lives, to do something like call or email someone, and may also assume someone else in the school would have contacted you instead.

Go for it, OP, and good luck 👍

GHGN Sat 13-May-17 08:51:34

Sometimes HTs say things just to be nice and polite. They don't work with you day to day. My head always congratulates me on certain things but he has absolutely no ideas what it is other than it sounds really impressive.

An Indie might want to look for the best possible candidates out there and for a good school, they don't settle for second best. A school near me advertised for a HoD post three time before the Deputy HoD get it and she is really good. They just wanted a strong field.

Apply but don't make too much assumption. You know the school and they know you might be an advantage but can also be a disadvantage. Treat it like any normal application. Pretend that they don't know you and list all the things that you do well that match the person spec.

RustyBear Sat 13-May-17 08:58:02

The school may also have more than one vacancy - when the school I work at had two teachers give notice at once, the ad was just for 'KS2 teacher’ and two of those interviewed were appointed.

GreatWhites Sat 13-May-17 09:04:07

Never take it for granted that you have a position until it has been offered to you.

I know of too many people who have been heartbroken by taking a 'would love to have you work here' comment as gospel truth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now