Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU leaving school

(38 Posts)
SleepymummyZzz Tue 09-May-17 21:09:20

Just had a very blunt message from the Head saying he wants to see me first thing tomorrow. He wanted to see me after school today but I had left. Apparently I should find him or the Deputy Head and tell them when I'm going home each evening. AIBU to think this unreasonable? Feel like I'm not trusted 😞 I stay late twice a week for staff meeting and club but need to leave by 4 on the other days to pick up my children. Is this fair of him to expect me to do this?

tissuesosoft Tue 09-May-17 21:10:48

What time is it in your contract? Our school finishes at 3 but staff can leave from 3.30

Bobbybobbins Tue 09-May-17 21:14:22

Yep depends on contract and if you are leaving on or after your finish time thenI would question why you have to do this. We are contracted til 4.45 and can't leave before then except for appointment/emergency etc.

SleepymummyZzz Tue 09-May-17 21:15:37

We don't have a time stipulated in our contract. I am in by 7.30 90% of the time so definitely do my hours (plus lots more at home as we all do)

TheFallenMadonna Tue 09-May-17 21:17:20

It will be in the directed time budget.

YoniFucker Tue 09-May-17 21:19:00

Did you leave before the bell or after? We need to ask SLT if we're leaving before the end of the school day, and sign out of the building, but otherwise we'd be trusted to manage our own time.

SleepymummyZzz Tue 09-May-17 21:21:37

Not sure what I'll say to him in the morning if this is the case. I don't have anyone to pick up my children so am a bit stuck. I naively thought as I was in school 42.5 hours a week when I'm only paid for 32.5 that was enough. Teaching is a crazy profession!

Wolfiefan Tue 09-May-17 21:22:24

What time does school finish?

SleepymummyZzz Tue 09-May-17 21:23:21

Yoni, I left at 3.30 (with a pile of work). The bell goes at 3.15 x

pestov Tue 09-May-17 21:24:13

Check your staff handbook - my last school threw a shit fit if you went off site during PPAs, current one trusts us to get our work done as long as we sign out. Both clearly in writing

SleepymummyZzz Tue 09-May-17 21:29:03

Just feels never ending! Every other day seems to be another thing I've got wrong πŸ™„ Hate the c**p that goes with this job!

C0untDucku1a Tue 09-May-17 21:30:09

Ours is ten minutes after the school bell. I thought that was burgundy book stuff.

YoniFucker Tue 09-May-17 21:31:18

Without seeing your staff handbook it's hard to say if you were 'in the wrong' or not (seems unlikely). Try not to worry too much. See what he says tomorrow. It might be nothing flowers

cansu Tue 09-May-17 21:33:07

Check staff handbook. You are right. It is very petty and would lead me to start being petty by arriving at the last minute and sticking to the contract in other ways. I leave quite early but often stay up late working and spend a lot of time working at weekends. It all balances out. Presenteeism as a culture at work is rubbish.

Point out politely at your meeting that you arrive early in the morning. Some jobsworth has put their oar in. I can guarantee it.

SleepymummyZzz Tue 09-May-17 21:39:12

Thanks everyone. Will keep calm and see what he says tomorrow. We give so much in this job it's hard when it feels like that isn't noticed 😞 Thanks again x

jellyfrizz Wed 10-May-17 09:10:31

Ask for the directed time budget.

Iamcheeseman Wed 10-May-17 16:53:51

It's bizarre that hours after school don't seem to be viewed in the same was as before.
I get in 1hr 20 minutes before school but tend to leave about 4.30. Despite the fact I'm usually first in people give me funny looks because I'm often first out. I get far more done before school when the place is quiet than after when everyone just seems to chat. I also work trrough break and lunch while the people who leave at 5 sit down doing nothing.
Surely as long as you are in during school hours nobody should care when you arrive /leave

spottysuperted Wed 10-May-17 18:40:29

Hope it went ok op?

CandODad Wed 10-May-17 21:15:06

The problem is those that leave late but have spent hours floating around being sociable. Some seem to view this leaving late and relate to it as working hard. I'm another that arrives at 7:30 and leave at half four and that works for me.

C0untDucku1a Wed 10-May-17 21:27:03

I Arrive at 8.30. Cant arrive any earlier due to childcare. I leave between 5.30 and 7pm. I take 20 mins to eat lunch, drink tea and go to the toilet. Im not a floater, faffer or in any way sociable. grin BUT it is very rare i bring anything home.

notapizzaeater Wed 10-May-17 21:36:15

Hope you sorted it, I'd take a note if the hours you actually work versus contracted hours

Tollygunge Wed 10-May-17 21:39:20

This annoys me. I'm in at 7 but I'm straight out that door at 4.30. We have to stay until 3.45 if no meetings- all laid out in burgundy book.

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 10-May-17 23:11:27

It seems pretty standard around here that the schools have set 4pm as the time that directed time goes up to on standard days.

I also wish that time before school counts as much as the time after school, however noone really pushes their luck at my place as those who arrive earlier tend to be able to leave earlier (but still not before 4) and those who arrive later in the morning end up staying later after school.

SleepymummyZzz Mon 15-May-17 19:41:42

Thanks everyone. Meeting was very awkward, apparently no one should be leaving before 4pm regardless of what time we get in 😞 Unfortunately I am now looking for another job as I can't fit in my half hour commute and still pick my kids up on time on the days I have too. I think it is v unlikely I'll be able to hand my notice in next week (financially there is no way I can leave without a definite offer of another job). How does the whole notice thing work 😬 If I find something over the summer does this mean I'm stuck until at least Christmas. Is any new school likely to wait that long for me? Feel trapped 😒

TheFallenMadonna Mon 15-May-17 20:15:08

It's not about the number of hours. It's about core hours in school, when if you need to talk to someone, you know they will be there. It will be set out in the directed time budget which should be published every year.

And I'm afraid that if you miss the last resignation date this term, the next opportunity to leave is Christmas. Recruiting schools will realise that though, and if they advertise next half term, will either have to wait until Christmas, or go for someone not currently working as a teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now