Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going part time - how much do you really lose?

(7 Posts)
PinkaColada Sun 07-May-17 21:08:21

Can I pick the minds of any part timers please?
I'm really keen to go part time having struggled through the Past few months of being back at work after mat leave. I currently work full time, London fringe, UPS1. I pay childcare vouchers and student loan out of my wages and take home around £1750 a month.
I've seen another job advertised at .6 which is perfect but am really worried about the impact on take home pay. I know I should benefit from less tax, pension and loan etc. Were you shocked or pleasantly surprised with what you had?

teacher54321 Mon 08-May-17 06:48:33

Hi! You need to download the salary calculator app-you can put in the different permutations of student loan etc etc. You have to take off CCV from the pre tax amount. That should give you a good idea smile

Seav Mon 08-May-17 18:51:23

I made myself a simple spreadsheet so I could compare easily - both net pay and the real difference when less commuting costs and childcare is taken into account. The online net pay calculators are pretty good though.

I am 0.6 take home around £1460 - but I have no student loans or childcare vouchers and I am UPS 3 (I went on to UPS and up to UPS 3 all whilst part time too so I wouldn't worry about progression).

Emphasise Mon 08-May-17 19:00:02

here you can work it out in moments.

bestthingsinceslicedbread Tue 09-May-17 09:27:13

Use the TES faqs pay calculator. Its very accurate.

Rathkelter Wed 10-May-17 20:56:55

If it gives you one day off a week, the improvement in your quality of life will be priceless.

Rathkelter Wed 10-May-17 20:56:55

If it gives you one day off a week, the improvement in your quality of life will be priceless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now