Talk

Advanced search

Attempting to get a salary increase... take 2! Non teaching role and it's starting to piss me off!

(15 Posts)
Perriwinkle9991 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:20:44

So, yearly appraisal is here again.

Last time I asked to move bands and was shot down and fed a load of crock. It was the first time I had ever asked and was walked all over.

Going to ask again next week. Have took on deputy DSL without being asked my picture just appeared on the wall hmm

Asked last year and was told I couldn't be a DSL because I'm not in the leadership team.

I think the level of responsibility with my role is quite high. I've looked at other job roles nationwide for this role in a school and salarys vary but everything is 2-12k more than what I earn.

What are we thinking my chances are? Slim... probably grin

Any ideas.. tips to sway the scales in my favour before I rant to my union wink

I'm thinking if it's a firm no I either speak to the union or I say we need to make a list of jobs I won't be doing anymore? Is that harsh?

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 27-Apr-17 21:25:31

By DSL do you mean deputy safeguarding lead? If so you should have received special training. If you haven't they are messing up big time.

Are you administrator? Business manager??

I have a list of 20-30 skills and experience required in my job / person specification and they still pay me peanuts. But mine is a 9-3 job so they know they can get away with it as these hours are sought-after.

winkletwinkletoes Thu 27-Apr-17 23:00:17

Yes I'm deputy safeguarding lead and school family support worker.

I don't get any fancy hours or flexibility just 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

When you say you get paid peanuts... what grade or salary banding if you don't mind sharing?

LornaD40 Fri 28-Apr-17 06:49:19

Perri- when I became deputy dsl by salary didn't change.
I think I remember you posting before?

What are you earning now and what are your responsibilities?

I know with all the cuts and job losses, the answer will be a definite no in my school, but I'm tempted to ask at my appraisal (whenever that will be!)

winkletwinkletoes Fri 28-Apr-17 06:53:54

Yes I posted last year! grin

Salary is 18k before tax.

Everything comes via me. All referrral, court reports, meetings ect.

My friend does it in another school and they earn 25-29k. envy

IPokeBadgers Fri 28-Apr-17 08:49:28

I think your chances are slim, anyone in a non teaching role in a school is ultimately (too often) viewed as easily replaced. It's a bit shit really, I feel your pain.

winkletwinkletoes Fri 28-Apr-17 08:55:40

I agree ipokebadgers.

Although the old me was absolutely shockingly shite.

Some schools really value my role but others don't. Bad luck of the draw really.

winkletwinkletoes Fri 28-Apr-17 08:56:17

Meaning the old me... I meant the person who did it before me.

rollonthesummer Fri 28-Apr-17 18:37:35

Teachers and TAs are being made redundant left right and centre in my school and there's no money for pencils or paper, so a pay rise would simply be out of the question.

If other jobs are £2-12k more for exactly the same job, then apply for one of those?

HackAttack Fri 28-Apr-17 18:44:03

Yikes, most fsw round here get 25k plus and it's the North East

winkletwinkletoes Fri 28-Apr-17 20:02:45

It's not just as easy as applying elsewhere. I can but who's to say I will get it.

Also have children to consider, distance to work, more petrol, more travelling time ect ect. If it was as easy I would apply but at the moment this suits my current family needs.

I'm happy with the job in most areas just salary and being held accountable and not being paid accordingly.

LornaD40 Fri 28-Apr-17 20:23:55

I don't think we are viewed as easily replaced more than teaching staff to be honest!

LornaD40 Fri 28-Apr-17 20:26:45

I don't know what your responsibilities are, but mine are safeguarding and other pastoral bits, And my actual salary is 26k (but is less - 23000 round about as pro rata).

winkletwinkletoes Sat 29-Apr-17 17:29:34

LornaD- I would be happy with that tbh. It's not like I'm being overly greedy or costly.

Like I said I've found job descriptions from other local schools that offer 23-29k band salary and looked at other schools pp spenditure and some schools are paying there pastoral/fsw 27k confused

LornaD40 Sat 29-Apr-17 18:52:06

I definitely think you should make a case and put it forward! Compile a list of your role's responsibilities (and everything that has been added since you took the job) and similar jobs to compare. Might be worth speaking to your union? No idea if it'd work, but worth a try!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now