Talk

Advanced search

10-15 Maths Starter for Y1 - interview task, any advice?

(4 Posts)
Sodor Wed 26-Apr-17 22:48:27

I have an interview for a trainee teacher position at a school next week. One of the tasks is to lead a 10-15 minute maths starter activity for 30 Y1 pupils. I have a few ideas of fun games etc and plan to look up national curriculum targets for this year group so I know what the session objective should roughly be. However the children at this school have a significantly lower starting point upon entering the school than average and a very high proportion with EAL (I was told around 50% of the class speak little to no English). I was wondering if anyone has any tips for how they best pitch and communicate their lessons in these more challenging circumstances or if anyone has any ideas of sessions that have gone down well with your children in the past? Thank you in advance x

Sodor Thu 27-Apr-17 21:16:44

Bump

Passthebiscuit Thu 27-Apr-17 21:20:17

In terms of communication , makaton signing would be.good. Also a visual time table of activities , e.g. Learning objective, song, group work , plenary or whatever they use ?

Sodor Fri 28-Apr-17 09:29:49

Thank you Passthebiscuit , I know some basic makaton but will brush up on it to use when I'm talking next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now