Talk

Advanced search

Returning after maternity leave - how should it be?

(9 Posts)
brucebogtrotter Wed 26-Apr-17 07:28:33

I'm due to return from a year's maternity leave in a few weeks. My school have made it clear that they expect me to turn up on the Monday and take straight over from where my maternity cover left off on the Friday. I'd really like some sort of short transition period, so I can get to grips with who the kids are, what their needs are, and what on earth they're doing, as well as any new rules/procedures the school have implemented.
It's making me feel very anxious about returning, knowing I will just be straight in the deep end.
Am I being ridiculous? Is this the norm? I completely appreciate that I chose to go on leave etc. How did it work when others returned from maternity?

TIA 😊

SamoanSamosa Wed 26-Apr-17 07:51:52

I had a short period of transition (1week) before taking over a class full time.

Go back and ask for a period of transition but I don't think they have to oblige. Perhaps worth a call to your union?

Shadowboy Wed 26-Apr-17 07:55:21

I used my KIT days for that - so I did 2 days a week a couple of weeks before I started to sit in on the lessons and start prep work for my return.

winewolfhowls Wed 26-Apr-17 09:18:41

I did kit days but a few months before I went back. Went back straight to it I'm afraid

brucebogtrotter Wed 26-Apr-17 18:55:20

Yeah the period of transition isn't going to happen. Looks like I'll just have to get on with it. Thanks for replies.

PotteringAlong Wed 26-Apr-17 18:56:45

I went back the last week of term both times (and will so this time) for this reason, but I was straight back into it.

SweepTheHalls Wed 26-Apr-17 18:58:22

Ask for a couple of Kit days in the weeks running up to your return.

Smilingthru Wed 26-Apr-17 22:02:38

I went back two weeks before end of term for this reason and used KIT days. Mention to your head you feel you need a handover/transition period.

Shockedwife Wed 26-Apr-17 23:21:49

I'll be using kit days up till the summer hols.., why aren't your school making it easier for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now