Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HOD with Primary Age Kids

(8 Posts)
KATE3003 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:01:33

Not sure what to do... I have an interview for a core HOD department job on Fri at a good school... I am currently only working three days a week as a classroom teacher at a school I am also really happy at. I have 2 DDs 8 and 10... Am just wondering whether I am setting myself up for an impossible life if I were to get this job. My workload is manageable at the moment and I am happy. Would it be crazy to rock the boat? Has anyone done the job with Primary age children.. I do think I will need to do more or aim higher in the next 5 years but is it too soon?

321Go Tue 25-Apr-17 20:10:47

Wondering if it was the job i was contemplating! I'm HOD with similar age kids. I leave school fairly promptly but work late in the evening. I am still part time though which helps as it keeps the marking load down - hod bit stays the same. Something to consider requesting?

I'm HOD of core subject with a pre-schooler and a five year old. It's not easy, but it's doable. I'm strict about doing all of my work during the week (even if that means working late) and trying to have weekends as family time. It works for us.

KATE3003 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:17:23

Ha,ha, sounds like it may well be.... Yes, I wish I could request that but I think as the school is so good they will be well placed to turn me down and there are plenty of other candidates being interviewed. When I first had my DDs I did the same as you as HOD on a job share and it was perfect. However, I already worked at the school and so had more bargaining power. I then had to re-locate which is why I went back to classroom teacher... If it was 3/4 years later I wouldn't hesitate but it is such a big jump up from what I am doing now......

KATE3003 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:19:22

Thanks ATruthUniversallyAcknowledged it is useful to know that even it is hard, it is doable. I do want to have a career for myself but it is balancing it with all the other factors..

321Go Tue 25-Apr-17 20:22:54

You are right - it's the going ft bit that stopped me from applying elsewhere right now. I don't job share but was already pt at the school (downside is accepting a pro-rated tlr).
Like the other poster i do keep weekend day times work free but work most/all evenings.

Rathkelter Tue 25-Apr-17 20:23:11

I think you have to consider the extra tasks you'll have to take on and where you're going to fit them in. You'll have lots of exam admin, stuff to chase up from other people, schemes of work and marking policies to update, the dreaded exam analysis that we have to do after the Y11 mocks as well as the real GCSEs, internal & external inspections to prep for, SEF and school improvement plans to update, department development plan to update and... oh yes, your own marking and planning! It will mean extra work in the evening for sure and I guess it depends whether you want that. I think it can be a bit of a poisoned chalice but that could be my school...

KATE3003 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:29:08

Yes, that it was I am worried about.. I would not be concerned if it was just me it was affecting but is the potential effect on my DDs. I feel some sense of ambition and am not sure if I would be happy staying as I am for the next 25 years.. At the moment I do all my work on the two days I have off while my DDs are at school so it would be such a massive change to have all the extra work... I am at the stage where I am hoping that I don't get offered the job so the situation is made easier.. But there is the little bit of nagging ambition in the background....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now