Talk

Advanced search

Internal application - references?

(9 Posts)
LemonRedwood Tue 25-Apr-17 20:00:31

This may be a stupid/obvious question.

Currently filling out application form for DH role in my current school. Usual protocol is to put current head as first referee - is this still ok for an internal application? Not sure if there is some sort of conflict of interest that goes with that? Also, for my 2nd reference I usually call on someone I worked for in my pre-teacher days but still in a role working with children in a teaching capacity (sport, not a school), but that's not technically a teaching reference. I've been at my current school for over 10 years and wouldn't know where to start with contacting headteacher from previous school for a reference as she is long gone from that school. Application says candidates must be able to provide contact details of two recent teaching-related references. How much of this do you think would be box-ticking for an internal candidate? Would references already given at the time I joined the school be counted?

Never applied for anything internally before and just wondering really how acceptable it is to point to admin-y things that would already be on file about me at the school?

Charmatt Tue 25-Apr-17 20:02:53

It's fine to put the headteacher down. Ask them who else they would consider appropriate

Frazzled2207 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:18:40

I work in recruitment and it would be really unusual for an internal candidate to need references. Presumably references would have been checked when you joined the organisation in the first place.

LemonRedwood Tue 25-Apr-17 20:36:57

Thanks both. It's been a long time since I applied for any job so I'm getting myself in a right tizz over this! Trying to write my personal statement as well and I just want to type in big capital letters YOU KNOW ALL THIS BECAUSE YOU DO MY APPRAISAL! grin

Charmatt Tue 25-Apr-17 20:58:36

It shows confidence that you put down references but they probably won't be acted on.

I'd just send a quick email to the head, " I'm planning to apply for the xx role. Will I need to provide references?"

Pud2 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:24:05

You will need references, even for an internal post. Audit will pick up on it if the recruitment process isn't done properly. You have to put down your current employer so fine to put head.

Jessesbitch Thu 27-Apr-17 17:26:37

I'm just about to apply for an internal role. I've been told that I can not use any SMT. I may also not be able to use my line manager as he may do the observation. Beggining to struggle! May have to ask my old boss who I haven't seen for 4years.

LemonRedwood Thu 27-Apr-17 20:45:47

My head said to use current Deputy and another member of SLT rather than the head herself.

Seems like every school does it differently!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now