Talk

Advanced search

Where do non-teachers find good jobs?!

(12 Posts)
C0untDucku1a Tue 25-Apr-17 18:13:16

Ive had enough. Say it every year at this time but a few incidents in the last few weeks have sealed it for me. Im leaving.

Ive read the threads on here on transferable skills, im secondry, but where do people find decent jobs? Not even big money?! Ive been looking for around £25-£50k just to keep it as broad as possible on the local councils websites but pay is either utterly terrible or wanting what appears to be the equivelent of an assistant head demands wise on £25k!

Ill need a job in september. I actually need a career as im only 40. My husband spent a lot of time on things like Indeed but that was no better.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MooPointCowsOpinion Tue 25-Apr-17 18:17:01

Have you thought about what other career would suit you, or what you're looking for?

Ideas: HR, estate agency, managerial, just about anything that requires an access course that can be done quickly while you're still getting paid over the summer?

StealthPolarBear Tue 25-Apr-17 18:18:33

Civil service jobs?
Why do you need to wait till September? If you get a job for August you'll have two pay packets!

CountryCaterpillar Tue 25-Apr-17 18:20:09

Following....

Ive wondered about ot and psych but both require retraining.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 25-Apr-17 18:20:42

Local authority wages seem to be being deflated across the board - massive cuts means lots of responsibility for not as much pay. Recruitment budget cuts also mean it takes a fair while for vacancies to be advertised externally as internal recruitment is preferred.

If you're in the West Midlands, wmjobs.co.uk is a good start. TES occasionally advertises non-teaching jobs. CYPNow also has a jobs page. Otherwise it's a bit of a waiting game to see what gets advertised.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 25-Apr-17 18:22:26

StepUp to social work is currently recruiting - £19k bursary to train plus a social work qualification. Currently starting salaries for social workers where I am is around £28k plus lots of opportunity for progression and, this week a time least, social workers are not the governments whipping boy.

C0untDucku1a Tue 25-Apr-17 18:30:37

I looked at civil service too.
My friend has just left social work becuse she was finding it the same as I was finding teaching, so it didnt appeal! But ill look into the access course as it was always a decision between teaching and social work for me all those years ago.

How do i find out about access courses that would be useful, as oppsed to just googling?

Tbh im not too concerned about what i want To do at this stage. I need something that pays enough first and foremost and isnt with teengers

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:18:43

In my experience you will struggle tbh. I'm warning £8.50 an hour in the NHS with limited prospects for progression without retraining. I had been planning to retrain but funding where I am is screwed. You should be able to get student finance for a health related degree in England though.

My view (and I'm around the same age) is that three years' low income is more doable than completely burning out age 50 and feeling it's too late to retrain then.

Leatherboundanddown Wed 26-Apr-17 21:28:28

Doing something like PRINCE2 can be a good investment as this can open up lots of different jobs.

Some ideas: thirdsectorjobs is a site for working for charities, all sorts of jobs on there from shop managers to directors.

Do you have a university near you? Even some admin roles in HE can be very well paid at 25k+ and once you are in with an institution it is easy to progress. Often roles such as study advisors or welfare advisors can make good use of pastoral experience. As to be honest there isn't a great gap between younger teenagers and 18-21 yr olds these days.

Who are the big employers where you live? Any food companies/factories/big businesses? You could look into an office based role in research and development.

What subject do you teach and what was your degree in?

Outside of work what do you like? For instance do you like animals/swimming/being outside/writing lots etc etc??

wizzywig Wed 26-Apr-17 23:56:40

gingerandthebiscuits wherabouts are you based?

GingerAndTheBiscuits Thu 27-Apr-17 21:58:08

@wizzywig West miss

GingerAndTheBiscuits Thu 27-Apr-17 21:58:24

Mids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now