Talk

Advanced search

First day tomorrow! Any tips?

(12 Posts)
laurzj82 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:40:04

Hi everyone,

It is my first day tomorrow volunteering in a local primary. I would like to make a good impression. Does anyone have any tips for me? I am so nervous!

Tia

MissClarke86 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:47:40

Don't be nervous, enjoy!

I'm a teacher. It's a really busy job so the best thing you can do is offer to help and if you see something that needs doing, help out. It's likely to be things like sticking work in, tidying the room, putting resources out. Don't be offended if they're too busy for a chat, especially in the mornings - it's frantic!

When they're teaching, sit with children and help when necessary (but don't talk over the teacher). Don't just sit at a table away from the kids - it might mean plonking yourself on the carpet if they're young.

Help discretely with behaviour - watch the teacher and TA and do what they do. Otherwise the kids will walk all over you!

Ask who you can support and how much help to give (and don't just do it for them!)

MissClarke86 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:49:36

My main issue with some volunteers is when they sit watching me work and do nothing, both when preparing for lessons and when teaching, so just get involved as much as possible!

user1492362793 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:53:56

What a great thing to do! Be happy and smiley and positive with staff and children. You will probably be given lots of policies to read - safeguarding etc. Read them and ask questions if you don't understand. Wear something smart but comfy....leggings and a top maybe? Or black trousers with a blouse? Nothing low cut or tight or too short. Confidentiality is really important too....don't be tempted to repeat anything you've seen or heard outside of the school. Other than that, enjoy it and have fun! Good luck.smile

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Sun 23-Apr-17 11:58:46

Can I repeat the confidentiality thing. I've come across more than one parent who is patently obviously only volunteering to have a nose around the classroom and who then shares confidential information rather freely around the school gates. In fact, my children's school only allows parents to volunteer in classes that don't include their own children.

Sorry OP, I'm sure that this isn't you at all - most parent helpers are an invaluable resource. Unfortunately there are a small minority who are simply a liability.

laurzj82 Sun 23-Apr-17 12:10:26

Thank you so much everyone. Really helpful advice. My DD is only 3 so not at school yet but I don't think she will go to that one anyway as it is a couple of villages away. I am doing it to get some experience as I am thinking of retraining to be a primary school teacher. Might change my mind after a few hours weeks though! grin

Wonderpants Sun 23-Apr-17 16:47:43

Volunteering is lovely- I really enjoyed my time as a parent helper.
As people have said, check early on if there is somewhere you can look for work with having to ask for jobs. In my classroom we have a tray with work that is marked but needs to go in books, but there might be work to file, pencils to sharpen or something like that. It makes you feel less like you are hanging around badgering for something to do.
Find out what the staffroom rules are. Can you use any mug? Help yourself to tea and coffee or do you need to bring your own? Make sure you get a break and a cuppa- you will learn more about the school if you get out of the classroom.
Enjoy smile

DressMeUpInStitches Sun 23-Apr-17 18:16:01

This thread is perfect op. I too am starting tomorrow as a volunteer and feeling nervous. No idea what to wear either!
Good luck op x

laurzj82 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:33:24

Thank you DressmeUp. You too!

laurzj82 Mon 24-Apr-17 16:42:38

How did you get on DressmeUp?

Teachers and TAs: I salute you! You do not get paid enough! I only did one morning and I was shattered! grin Great fun though!

DressMeUpInStitches Mon 24-Apr-17 20:05:04

Came on to ask you the same thing! I agree, it is busy and non stop! I'm tired and have a banging headache now! Keen for more tomorrow though!

Gotta say I became pretty good at my glueing and sticking today! Can't believe how much prep is involved even before you start on lesson plans and marking!

laurzj82 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:23:14

Haha me too!

Good luck for tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now