Talk

Advanced search

DC has a really good teacher - write to the head or is that cringeworthy?

(26 Posts)
TooStressyForMyOwnGood Fri 21-Apr-17 19:16:46

I am a parent not a teacher so hope ok to post here. I have changed some details as paranoid about outing myself as post quite a lot in other sections. Basically my primary aged DC has an (IMO) excellent teacher who is on a temporary year's contract to cover maternity leave. She really seems to have the learning through play thing cracked and the children are enthusiastic to learn etc., etc.

There are murmurs that she may be kept on in the school to allow the deputy head to do less teaching and more management but this may be playground rumour. I find this hard to believe with budget cuts but I suppose it is a possibility.

Usually at the end of a school year we do a thank you card and present and write something nice that can go in a teacher's portfolio. Occasionally I email the head. Should I say something sooner though in case they are debating keeping her on? Or is that just cringeworthy and a parent's opinion is not as relevant as they might think grin? I also don't want to sound insensitive to the teacher on maternity who I'm sure is also very good.

I do have a tendency to overthink these things... should I just keep my mouth shut?

Piratesandpants Fri 21-Apr-17 19:20:31

It's always good to give positive feedback of you think it's deserved. It will be very much appreciated.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Fri 21-Apr-17 19:22:03

Thanks pirates, should I just speak to the head? She (the head) is often in the playground but is a bit intimidating (in a good way grin)

Migrant2 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:23:53

Definitely put it in writing. If you just mention it in passing a busy head may forget. Also, please send a copy to the teacher too. Letters like that are much cherished

mackerelle Fri 21-Apr-17 19:24:18

Please do! A parent once emailed the head about me and 2 years on I still really appreciate that she took the time to do that.

Puffinsareblackandwhite Fri 21-Apr-17 19:24:42

Do it! Our head reads out complimentary emails occasionally to boost morale! I teach secondary, but I can't imagine it's much different. Plus I'd be floating if a parent made a compliment to the head about me fat chance

Reasontobelieve Fri 21-Apr-17 19:25:04

I am a school governor and think that it would be fine to email the head to give positive feedback. It may not make any difference with regard to whether she is kept on - but as schools tend to receive quite a lot of negative views for parents, i am sure that they would like to hear that you are pleased with the teacher. Even better, I am sure that the head would pass this on to her - and she would feel valued.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Fri 21-Apr-17 19:27:13

Ok thanks all, I will email.

BelafonteRavenclaw Fri 21-Apr-17 19:29:12

It's a lovely thing to do

CycleHire Fri 21-Apr-17 19:29:41

Definitely do it. I'm not a teacher but I always think it's a good idea to give a heartfelt compliment or pass on positive fed back. It's not an insult to the teacher on mat leave so don't worry about that.

rollonthesummer Fri 21-Apr-17 19:31:21

Do it and do it soon as staffing for next year is all SMT are talking about at the moment grin

WLmum Fri 21-Apr-17 19:31:42

Absolutely. We're all guilty of being quick to point out issues but not the good stuff. Imagine how thrilled and inspired the teacher will be smile

Frouby Fri 21-Apr-17 19:31:45

I wrote to my dds head about her y3 teacher. It was the first and only time I did but she was absolutely fantastic.

Definitely do it.

Astro55 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:32:22

I've also done this because you need to balance the view IMO

People are right in that negative comments are easier than positive!

Go for it! Make someone's day!!

Astro55 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:32:42

*In fact we should all do this occasionally

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Fri 21-Apr-17 19:33:29

The teacher in question is young and 'cool' for want of a better word and a lot of the parents like her because of that. Any tips on how to put in the email that it is her teaching that is excellent (rather than it looking as if I am emailing because the kids think she's cool)? Not sure if I am explaining myself well.

MrsPeel1 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:35:48

Do! It can't do any harm but it will do lots of good, even if it doesn't make a difference to staffing, it'll do wonders for the staff.

Silverdream Fri 21-Apr-17 19:38:43

I once wrote to the LEA about a teacher who I felt was really inspirational to the kids and copied it into the head.
It was well received and I hope went a minute way in helping him progress as his name would have been heard of positively.

MrsKCastle Fri 21-Apr-17 19:45:12

Absolutely, this is always really appreciated.

In your e-mail focus on the impact on you and your DC e.g. I have been so pleased with x's improvement in reading this year. He was reluctant to read at first, but Mrs V has encouraged him and given him confidence...' Or 'Mrs D's communication has been excellent and she always listens to any concerns' etc.

Astro55 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:47:21

Dear HT,

Can you please accept my expressed thanks to Ms X for her wonderful aspirational teaching.

DS USB so keen to attend school and is full of excitement when he arrives home anoutvhis learning that day and it really is a pleasure to see him so happy and engaged with his learning.

I can only thank Ms X's enthusiasm for her position which is clearly rubbing off on D.C.

Thanks again

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Fri 21-Apr-17 19:49:35

Ooh thanks MrsK and Astro, brilliant smile.

speakfriendandenter Fri 21-Apr-17 19:56:24

What a lovely thing to do.
I'm a teacher and I love hearing positive things like that. I cherish them and they get me through the dark day 😂.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Fri 21-Apr-17 19:59:31

I like to tell the head teacher and the teacher when they do a good job.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Fri 21-Apr-17 19:59:47

Ok you have all inspired me. I have already emailed about a club run by the school (parents were asked directly for feedback) and was very complimentary and I think the head might think I am a bit overly invested in the school - is that viewed as a bad thing? I really am not remotely a pushy school parent but for some reason have a fear of appearing like one?? I have a thing about giving positive feedback as I know how important it is from my old job pre DC.

user1486076969 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:59:55

Definitely do it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now