We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teachers, is this the norm or am I over reacting?

(15 Posts)
yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:32:42

Can I have some advice on this sotuation which happened today...

DD 12 stayed behind at school tonight to help set up for an exhibitionon for tomorrow night. During this time she went with a teacher in her car to a local shop to buy some some snacks and materials. Teacher couldnt park so gave DD bank card and pin number for her to go in a buy the stuff.

Im shocked 😕 because:

I thought DD was at school
Is it the norm for pupils to go out in the teachers car just the 2 of them
Was there insurance
My child was out of the teachers sight in the shop
My child was asked to use the teachers card and had pin number

yellowsun Wed 19-Apr-17 23:39:13

It's not something I would do! I do occasionally have children in my car but that's with parent permission, business insurance and a second member of staff!

BeBeatrix Wed 19-Apr-17 23:40:31

Not normal, and breaking all kinds of rules. Worth raising with the school

0hCrepe Wed 19-Apr-17 23:40:44

I've had children on my own in a car. I have business insurance and parental permission.

Missmac84 Wed 19-Apr-17 23:42:22

I've had pupils in my car but parents know about it and I have business insurance.
I'd never give a pupil my bank card...

lilydaisyrose Wed 19-Apr-17 23:46:22

You've posted the same thread 3 x?

That's very annoying!

BackforGood Wed 19-Apr-17 23:48:32

Teacher is leaving themselves wide open to allegations, and that should be raised as a Safeguarding matter.
No-one should be taking your dd off site, without you knowing about it.
The card and the pin number are taking it to beyond stupidity (by the teacher).
I would definitely be raising this with Senior management, so they can talk some sense into the incredibly naive teacher, very, very soon.

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:55:32

Lily needed teacher input plenty of comments by parents but only 3 from teachers and one of those comments was from a nqt

ScarletSienna Wed 19-Apr-17 23:57:00

DD or DS? Three teachers responding is enough surely? What are you trying to get from this?

BackforGood Thu 20-Apr-17 00:16:18

How do you know that none of the people who haven't specifically said they are a teacher, aren't teachers ?

AndNowItIsSeven Thu 20-Apr-17 00:19:11

Out of sight of the teacher? Your dd is 12 not five.

Northernlassie1974 Thu 20-Apr-17 00:33:01

Wow!
I've been a teacher for 15 years and this makes my blood run cold.
Total stupidity on the behalf of the teacher. So many issues here I don't know where to begin!!!! Here are a few:
Taking a pupil off site without permission.
Driving a pupil (possibly) without insurance.
Driving a pupil (definitely) without parental permission.
Giving PIN number and card to a pupil...urm I thought it was illegal anyway to use someone's card and pin when it's not your own?!? Obvious security issues here too.
What a responsibility to put on a pupil!!!
Teacher and pupil alone together...we're advised to never be one on one without someone else around, door open etc.
Teacher leaving themselves open to a whole host of allegations here, favouritism, molestation, rape, grooming, and much more.
Letting a child unsupervised into a shop. Any off site visits require a risk assessment nowadays. Regardless of perceptions of a visit to the shop, there is no registered risk assessment for it, legally, the teacher is on very dodgy ground. Child unsupervised in a public place the teacher hadn't even first visited to assess suitability. A whole host of risks are posed to the child here.

Who is this teacher? Are they very new to the profession (and very naive as most teachers, or adults for that sake, aren't that green!)
I hope to goodness it is an extremely stupid, Ill considered decision on the part of the teacher.
Regardless, management need to know! If you're worried about getting the teacher in trouble, don't, you'll be doing them a favour in the long run. They would be spoken to at the very least, probably disciplined and at the worst suspended, however, would be a hell of a lot better than if a child in the future makes an allegation against them. Also, there is a chance (hopefully not) this teachers intentions aren't innocent, again, all the more reason to raise with management!

twattymctwatterson Thu 20-Apr-17 00:52:47

Why have you changed your op from DS to DD? To see if you get different responses?

ScarletSienna Thu 20-Apr-17 14:25:35

Twatty, that question has been ignored for some reason!

anxious2017 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:29:04

No, it's not the norm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now