Temp contract finishes at half term..

(4 Posts)
onanotherday Tue 18-Apr-17 23:10:20

Just that. Took a temp job up to Christmas which has been extended a couple of times. But due to finish on 31/5/17. Have turned round A level groups and now they are in a good place. My reward too late to get work for last half term and no pay for summer....very fed up. Any advice?

DitheringDiva Wed 19-Apr-17 09:11:12

It's a shitty thing to do, but schools are running a business and if they don't need you they don't need you. From a finance point of view, they can't justifiably keep you on when there is no work for you to do.

That is the nature of temporary contracts unfortunately. Most supply teachers have this problem i.e. very little work from June - October. In your situation, I would have been frantically looking for a permanent contract the whole time - I'd have felt out of control of my own future otherwise.

The only thing you can do is take control NOW - contact loads of agencies, get on their books, apply for jobs for September (some may take you on before the summer holiday).

onanotherday Wed 19-Apr-17 21:51:55

Yes have been looking constantly but nothing about...live very rurally. Can ice as ds doing gcses. Situation difficult as still no word if staff member coming back so have been holding on. ...just a rubbish situation. 30 years of teaching. ..will consider early retirement and do anything else!

SENDCo Thu 20-Apr-17 19:34:46

what subject? Would you consider SEN schools? Hospital schools? Peripatetic teacher for children who cannot attend schools? LAC advisory teacher? Associate lecturer for OU? Exam marking? Exam invigilator? Summer school tutor? Have you looked at the private sector?

Also try posting on TES Community Forum! You can also get excellent advice there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now