Talk

Advanced search

How many jobs can I get away with applying for?

(17 Posts)
Hezaire Sun 09-Apr-17 17:56:03

I've asked a couple of people for references. No problem. There are potentially 10 jobs I could apply for, all closing on the same day give or take one or two day.

Can I really expect a referee to do 10 references? I know I may not get shortlisted for some but is 10 too many?

Toomanycats99 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:58:05

All jobs I have had the referees are only approached after i have been offered a job.

BitchyInnerMonologue Sun 09-Apr-17 18:00:36

Generally, school references (especially within one local authority) are fairly generic, so your referee could cut and paste?

If it's your first job, you wouldn't be unreasonable - already employed? Maybe a little!

Hezaire Sun 09-Apr-17 18:04:10

Yea already employed but want to leave this year

Hezaire Sun 09-Apr-17 18:04:52

That interesting if they wait til after. Although I know that's not always the case

BizzyFizzy Sun 09-Apr-17 18:05:13

Safer Recruitment says that references should be sought before offe, which means, for state schools, before interview. Many schools still wait until after offer.

Don't worry about being a burden to your referee. It is the system you are both in.

Good luck with your job search.

Hezaire Sun 09-Apr-17 18:07:03

Thank you

BitchyInnerMonologue Sun 09-Apr-17 18:13:05

Yes; the new Safer Recruitment does say they should be received before offer so (having just done the admin side of an offer) we ask for them before interview, provisional offer (subject to DBS) then firm offer. It's all about the safety of the pupils.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:14:56

Your referees doing 10 references is one thing, but how about the VAST amount of time it will take you to visit schools, write tailored application forms for each job, prepare tasks for interviews and then attend.

10 jobs with the same closing date is not going to leave you with enough time to think about your current job, or do any of the applications individual justice.

I would narrow it down to 4 tops, based on which jobs you actually want.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:19:09

Also, I wouldn't interview somebody if I got any wind of them applying for that many jobs. I would assume they were desperate to get out of their current job rather than wanting mine. I'd keep it very quiet if you apply for that many and hope your HT does the same.

Hezaire Sun 09-Apr-17 18:21:08

Thanks. The narrowing down had occurred to me and it's so time consuming doing even 1 interview day. obviously if I got interviews for all 10 (!) many would probably clash anyway

DitheringDiva Sun 09-Apr-17 20:52:19

I always assumed that once they'd done one reference, it was a copy and paste job to do more, so I've never felt guilty about applying for loads of jobs. I'm applying for 4 over Easter. It's that time of year isn't it? Everyone's applying for jobs all over the place at my school. (Lots of redundancies)

CarrieBlue Sun 09-Apr-17 21:01:00

Having written a lot of references for NQTs as a mentor it is never as easy as a cut and paste job - it feels like every single school uses a completely different format, even in the same authority!

Toomanycats99 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:08:04

Ignore my comment - didnt see section this was in!

echt Mon 10-Apr-17 11:51:14

Also, I wouldn't interview somebody if I got any wind of them applying for that many jobs. I would assume they were desperate to get out of their current job rather than wanting mine. I'd keep it very quiet if you apply for that many and hope your HT does the same

1. How would someone find this out?
2. With the frankly ridiculous resignation dates for UK teachers, there are bound to be bottle necks for applications. Schools can't have it all both ways.

Glad I'm in the saner world of Australia where because you get paid fortnightly, so is your notice period as an employee.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:48:13

The resignation dates are there to ensure continuity for the pupils. If a teacher gave 2 weeks notice it would realistically be 6-8 weeks before you could have a replacement in post. How would you cover the gap for the class/es?

Hezaire Mon 10-Apr-17 20:52:52

Thanks all.
Yes it is a bit of a bottle neck at Easter. I'm not too concerned about people knowing I'm applying for a few jobs. I'd like full time and can't get it where I am so after 10 years in the same place I'm moving. It's difficult to be picky when many schools are similar and you don't know which will shortlist and which won't!
I'll be glad when may half term comes around, job applications are a full time job in themselves.

I'm grateful for all your comments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now