Talk

Advanced search

Phonic screener - what is covered?

(2 Posts)
birdybirdbird Thu 06-Apr-17 20:03:53

Hi! Can anyone provide a definitive list of what graphemes can come up in the year 1 phonic screener? I have some very old guidance from about 5 years ago, but it includes things that are not in the new year 1 curriculum. Surely it can't contain graphemes that aren't part of the year 1 curriculum? Can it?! hmm Thanks!

toomuchicecream Fri 07-Apr-17 11:47:40

I would ensure all the graphemes in phases 2, 3 & 5 of Letters and Sounds are covered. All my pupils who know all of these have always reached the required standard. There might be the odd one (eg rice a couple of years ago, which needed pupils to remember that when c is followed by e it makes a soft sound) that is nasty, but that won't be enough to make the difference between pass for fail. What, in my experience, makes the difference is the ability to spot split digraphs and to notice 2 letter vowel graphemes eg oa, ie, au - exactly the things in phase 5 of letters and sounds. I've never had a pupil who is secure in all of those who hasn't flown through.

This might help explain the link between the old and new curriculum: www.phonicsplay.co.uk/NewCurriculum.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now