Talk

Advanced search

MFL GCSE Revision Listening + Reading

(8 Posts)
Janek Mon 03-Apr-17 12:59:30

I started my new job in January, and have mostly been working on coursework with my Year 11s since then. However, we are now reaching the stage when we need to revise for the listening and reading exams and I am interested in how others do this.

Do you just go through past papers to give them lots of practise on the format and skills necessary, or are there other activities which would improve their performance further?

The exam board is Edexcel and I teach German, if that makes a difference. I have spent this morning looking through their past papers and seeing what topics come up, so I can tell them which topics it would be a good idea to revise over Easter.

Does anyone more experienced than me have any advice?

secretfreckle Tue 04-Apr-17 15:53:01

Since we finished our Controlled Assessments, we have been doing past papers(AQA, but also German) and going through them with the mark scheme and transcript(for the listening exams). I get them to write down any new vocab. Does your school use Vocab Express? My students are all on that. I have also made nine 'challenges', one for each GCSE topic area: basically a grid with German vocab on; they fill in the English for homework every week and can revise from them on study leave. They use one colour pen for the words they know and another colour for the ones they had to look up in a dictionary. Finally have you seen Peter Morris' resources on tes? He has made some fantastic quizzes on different topics (eg. technology, education, food) using realia from the internet. I get my pupils into small groups and we do them like pub quizzes, one a week, with prizes for the winning group.

70ontheinside Wed 05-Apr-17 09:10:07

OMFG why have I never come across Peter Morris' resources before?!?
Thank you for that tip flowers

Janek Wed 05-Apr-17 18:29:49

Thank you, i will look into these things!

Janek Wed 05-Apr-17 18:34:19

How do you search for tes resources by creator? I can't seem to find peter morris...

70ontheinside Wed 05-Apr-17 19:04:23

Just google "tes Peter Morris".

Janek Wed 05-Apr-17 19:23:34

Thanks! I googled peter morris tes and that didn't work! But your way did.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sat 08-Apr-17 14:42:08

Quiz, quiz, trade. Particularly with time indicators, adverbs etc that can make all the difference in the listening and reading. Memrise, vocab darts (once they can translate a phrase they get to throw a dart, make them keep score in TL).
I make text spinners on tripticoplus. I've done dice games, snakes and ladders, kahoot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now