Talk

Advanced search

Do I think of myself or the school?

(11 Posts)
LearningHowToFly Wed 29-Mar-17 21:42:29

Our head is not really happy as 3 possibly 4 staff are leaving, 1 - 2 who have been put on capability and 2 who are outstanding teachers. I have been at the school for 15 years and thinking about moving on for the last couple of years but not actively looking. The head has asked me to train up as SENCo next year but today I saw a job at a local school for assistant head which I'm really interested in applying for.
Do I not go for it out of loyalty to the school and the number of staff leaving or do I just think of myself?
Can't ask advice at school for obvious reasons so would appreciate thoughts.
Thank you

rollonthesummer Wed 29-Mar-17 21:43:41

Do what's right for you.

LearningHowToFly Wed 29-Mar-17 21:48:11

Thank you Roll, I'd just feel so guilty. I will be going to view the new school tomorrow.

Sleeperandthespindle Wed 29-Mar-17 21:49:16

Two on capability? You should go if you can.

Emphasise Wed 29-Mar-17 21:51:48

Yes, if the opportunity's right for you go for it. Do you honestly think the head would do differently?

SkeletonSkins Wed 29-Mar-17 22:19:34

Do you want to be SENCo? I've done it for two years and absolutely would not recommend it. And I'm not a complainer about teaching

PaperdollCartoon Wed 29-Mar-17 22:23:01

Do what's right for you. It's all exploration at this stage anyway, and would be a great step up for you.

LearningHowToFly Wed 29-Mar-17 22:25:53

Hi Skeleton I thought I did so asked to shadow our current SENCo. I thought it would be a way out of my current school but then the head offered me the SENCo role next year. Our head doesn't always keep to her word though and hasn't mentioned it again. After shadowing and assisting our SENCo and watching her write EHCPs, battle with outside agencies, TAs and parents I'm really not so sure about it anymore. Then today I saw this assistant head job and it's just me. I think I know what I have to do it's just not going to be easy to tell the head.

SkeletonSkins Wed 29-Mar-17 22:29:41

If a better opportunity came up for her she wouldn't think of you. Go for it, and escape SENCO hell.

LearningHowToFly Wed 29-Mar-17 22:35:14

I should add I wasn't interested in the SENCo role just as a way out, it was because I have a son with SEND and saw the importance first hand of a good SENCo.

LearningHowToFly Wed 29-Mar-17 22:35:54

Thanks Skeleton

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now