Talk

Advanced search

Academy vs LA schools

(6 Posts)
Hugepeppapigfan Wed 29-Mar-17 19:24:36

I work in a LA school and I'm thinking of applying for a job in an academy. So what are the main differences? It's part of a small MAT with no big name sponsor. Four schools in it with an executive head and a head in each school.

noblegiraffe Wed 29-Mar-17 19:27:10

They don't have to abide by the burgundy book so check what their pay and conditions are.

If you're planning on taking maternity leave soon, you would have to build your entitlement up again as the academy counts as a new employer.

seven201 Wed 29-Mar-17 20:06:47

It really depends on the academy. My last school was an academy and absolute hell. Current school is an academy but you wouldn't know it.

padkin Wed 29-Mar-17 21:59:04

I'd say the biggest difference is that Academies don't have to adhere to STPCD (Burgundy Book) which can have an ENORMOUS impact on your terms and conditions of work. Some academies are fine, and continue to follow the main principles, others have torn it up completely. Look very carefully at your proposed contract, and directed hours before verbally agreeing to anything in an academy.

Hugepeppapigfan Thu 30-Mar-17 07:03:40

Thanks everyone. What about the leadership structure? Is the executive head really the head with the heads being deputies in each school? Is the school head usually able to make decisions etc?

QueenofLouisiana Thu 30-Mar-17 21:58:25

Check things like- length of service, my MAT ignores previous service outside the MAT for stuff like sickpsy or mat leave.
Working hours- out contact time starts at 8.30 now, not 8.45. That's 45 hours extra over the year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now