Talk

Advanced search

Interview: what reasons for wanting to move?

(13 Posts)
Euphemia Sun 26-Mar-17 12:23:06

If asked at interview why you're looking to move from your current school, what is it ok to say?

Should it all be positive stuff about the new employer?

Is it ok to say you're looking for a position closer to home?

I have an interview next week for a pool of schools. There are some I'd work at and some I wouldn't. The ones I prefer are closer to home, and have better reputations.

I'm going to be picky if offered a job (i.e. I'll turn it down if it's a school I don't want to work at), but I don't know how particular it's acceptable to be at an interview!

There's a shortage of teachers here at the moment, so I think I'll be offered a job.

rollonthesummer Sun 26-Mar-17 12:25:32

_*Is it ok to say you're looking for a position closer to home?*

Yes, absolutely!

Euphemia Sun 26-Mar-17 12:39:37

Great! I wasn't sure if it should all be guff about the local authority's policies, schools' approaches to x, y and z, etc. grin

noblegiraffe Sun 26-Mar-17 13:40:06

Don't slag off your current school is the main thing. It does happen!

lavenderandrose Sun 26-Mar-17 13:43:10

You mean we can't put 'bunch of tossers' next to 'reason for leaving'? grin

noblegiraffe Sun 26-Mar-17 13:45:21

Only if you're a maths or physics teacher wink

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 26-Mar-17 13:50:27

I do interviews - not in a school, but in a public sector context. Personally I'm much more impressed by the people who give me an honest answer like they are looking for something closer to home, rather than those who spout a load of management-speak that no-one says in real life.

BackforGood Sun 26-Mar-17 13:57:01

If it's for a 'pool' then you can't really say wonderful things about the school anyway, so closer to home is a good enough reason. smile

Euphemia Sun 26-Mar-17 16:58:29

Fab - so gloss over my new HT being a cunt then, you think? grin

BackforGood Sun 26-Mar-17 17:54:55

Yeah, generally, that's not a great thing to start discussing at interview wink

SweepTheHalls Sun 26-Mar-17 17:56:17

No comments on current school being crap. Anything else goes grin

RidiculousVehicle Sun 26-Mar-17 22:10:34

Is there something you can say about wanting to broaden your experience? That could work if the new schools are more diverse in student background, have slightly different curriculum, if there'd be different opportunities for extra-curricular stuff at the new one etc.

Checkedstripes Sun 02-Apr-17 15:07:06

When I changed I said that I was looking for opportunities that weren't currently available in my school. Not that my Head was a belled and that my HoD was sapping away my enthusiasm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now