Talk

Advanced search

Where does your confidence come from?

(5 Posts)
LunaLambBhuna Thu 23-Mar-17 18:07:05

Hello.
I'm thinking about applying for an internal post in my school. It largely administrative, think UCAS applications, admissions type thing.

I've never had a responsibility before, probably if I'm honest, because I don't believe I would get 'the job' over someone else.

I know so many people who go for positions when they don't have much experience but have the self belief that they can be successful.

If I go to see the head to register my interest, I know I'll have to write a letter of application and maybe do an interview. Things I'm hopeless at.

I don't really know what I'm asking for - maybe just a bit of ego massaging. Where does your confidence come from?
Help!

TheSnowFairy Thu 23-Mar-17 18:26:49

I was in sales for a long time. But like most people, I'm really confident in some things and very much not in others.

Bear Grylls was interviewed recently and said he hates walking into dinner parties where he doesn't know anyone.

What are you good at / feel confident in? You can bring that confidence for a start wink

LunaLambBhuna Thu 23-Mar-17 19:02:56

Thanks Snow. I think that's the problem. I don't feel very good at anything at the moment. Maybe having a bit of a mid life crisis!blush

Postagestamppat Fri 24-Mar-17 10:59:26

Instead of thinking in terms of confidence and self-evaluation of what you're good or bad at, why don't you concentrate on your transferable skills that you could bring to this job. If you take the emotion out of it i'm sure you'll come up with a long list of skills and experiences, which will convince you that you deserve a chance and could do the job.

Also when I meet anxious students I advise them to channel their energy in to preparation rather than thinking. I am not a confident person by nature but I came across the saying "failure to prepare is preparation for failure". Ever since then, if I am feeling nervous about something I try to make myself as fully prepared as possible (I write scripts and research all possible questions and answers before interviews for example). This calms me down, knocks the edge of the nerves and maybe makes me appear more confident. Good luck!!!

LunaLambBhuna Fri 24-Mar-17 17:44:18

Thank you postage. Some good advice there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now