Talk

Advanced search

Any advice on careers after teaching...

(10 Posts)
Lucyben14 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:43:02

Is there anybody out there who has left teaching for another career and would be willing to share their thoughts?
I'm growing increasingly tired of the marking but more so the absolute lack of gratitude from parents, students and management.
I just never seem to have any time for myself - I wouldn't mind if I felt valued but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned...

PurpleDaisies Thu 23-Mar-17 17:44:19

If it's mainly the lack of feeling valued, maybe you should consider working in a different school before you decide to leave?

TheFallenMadonna Thu 23-Mar-17 17:51:15

I work in Alternative Provision (former PRU). Very low marking load. Fewer year groups so less planning. Can be very stressful of course, but for me the work life balance is dramatically better. I'm not sure I feel valued by my students, mind you!!

cdtaylornats Sat 25-Mar-17 12:15:01

If you feel like you need a job where you are valued - good luck with that.
I think you might need to start your own business, don't have employees and probably not customers.

CarrieBlue Sat 25-Mar-17 13:22:52

I work in a PRU too but 1-2-1 teaching. I love my job! Previously in mainstream I was totally miserable, despite being good at my job. Now there are other pressures but nothing like before.

Igglepiggleisblue Thu 30-Mar-17 21:50:22

What is PRU?

itsbeenaverylongweek Thu 30-Mar-17 23:17:05

Pupil Referral Unit

Melaniaspilatesinstructor Sat 01-Apr-17 00:23:12

I have felt extremely valued as a nanny and as a cleaner.

OneOfTheGrundys Sat 01-Apr-17 09:32:32

AP here too. Hardest but best job I've ever had. Planning has to be tip top as even a minutes down time can lead to chaos but mark load is minuscule compared to ms. As a teacher it's grown me no end. You don't have to be the best teacher in the world either-I think the rep of pru staff is that they're some sort of crack team. Don't get me wrong, you have to be good but it's mainly a love of the rogues and pure patience that are required where I teach.

BringOnTheScience Sat 08-Apr-17 21:27:45

I'm a full-time STEM Ambassador after primary teaching. Lots of big firms have education outreach roles. Plus any place that you've ever been to on a school trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now