Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is your School's self harm policy?

(5 Posts)
OiMiss Thu 23-Mar-17 16:12:49

Just wanted to know how other schools deal with the issue of self harm ,especially in secondary school.

A month ago Inoticed cuts on a students arm and informed the head of year . Part of our policy means informing the parents . Since then the pupil has a lot more cuts and as far a I'm aware she is not getting any help.

Does your school provide any help or is it down to the parents?

OiMiss Thu 23-Mar-17 16:44:23

I'm not sure there's a particular policy on self harm in our school. To me, that would be a safeguarding issue and I'd inform the designated person. What they do with that information wouldn't necessarily be passed back to me (more than a 'thank you - will follow up') but options available in our school would include referral to CAHMS, appt with school nurse or counsellor (both do one day per week in our school).

OiMiss Sun 26-Mar-17 11:20:45

Our self harm policy comes under safeguarding. I'm just a bit concerned about this student and she's so withdrawn and our school nurse is currently 'booked up'. I'm not expecting the designated member of staff to get back to me with details but it's useful to know what I can to help in my lessons.

Could you ask the senco or the designated person? (Not being awkward - I just don't know he best thing either - they might have training re self harm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now