Talk

Advanced search

Revision ideas for disengaged low ability class

(13 Posts)
Igglepiggleisblue Wed 22-Mar-17 18:48:55

Hi
I have a year 9 class who are soon sitting their end of KS3 assessments. The class is very low ability and there are lots of disruptive and badly behaved students in the class who cannot stick to any task.
I'm being observed with them next week during a revision lesson and I would love some ideas to help the lesson run smoothly. It's period 5 and the class are usually a nightmare then. Previously parents of students in this class have complained about high level of disruptions to their children's learning due to other students behaviour issues.
Any advice greatly appreciated smile

Heirhelp Wed 22-Mar-17 20:09:44

Quiz, quiz, trade. You could even do this with statements.
Key word treasure hunt. Write own the letters of the alphabet on an a4 sheet and some appropriate images and get them to write a word for letter. Prizes for the student with the most.
Ust

AndKnowItsSeven Wed 22-Mar-17 20:11:13

Key word treasure hunt, for 13/14 year olds?

Heirhelp Wed 22-Mar-17 20:13:25

Get the student make their own quiz with the answers.

Lizzylou Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:02

What subject?
What are you revising?

Heirhelp Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:43

Andnow my low ability year 9s love this and it is a great starter activity to get them to think about the subject and it helps them with subject specific vocab.

AndKnowItsSeven Wed 22-Mar-17 20:20:43

Oh ok , I used to be surprised when the older year groups still loved stickers.

BackforGood Wed 22-Mar-17 20:30:32

Usually love a bit of competition. Sort out some kind of buzzer / bell / rattle and make it into a quiz, table vs table

or if they are particular terms or something - get them to do a sort of charades or pictionary or even just describing the thing to the rest of their team who have to guess the word (don't know what your subject is, this could be easier in some than others! grin)

Igglepiggleisblue Wed 22-Mar-17 20:34:15

Wow thank you great ideas. It's for a science revision lesson xx

BlessYourCottonSocks Wed 22-Mar-17 20:41:33

Put them into groups with a sheet of A3 paper and coloured pens. Give them a Question/topic to answer (Digestion, or whatever you are doing?) Play a song from Youtube and they have the length of the song to jot down their ideas for what they would include/what they can remember.

FrogsLegs31 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:04:55

If you have access to iPads or similar, My students are always begging to play quizzes on kahoot.

Or teams of four, with mini whiteboards. they have to use their collective knowledge to answer the questions and winning teams get rewarded with sweets.
(I get wrapped toffees, mints etc and the winning team for each question or section gets one each. It doesn't matter if the same team finishes first again as a natural sense of fair play means they are happy to take the verbal praise and let someone else win the next lot of sweets)

Ollycat Mon 27-Mar-17 20:31:57

Kahoot is always popular.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Mon 27-Mar-17 20:41:55

Put a labelled diagram or a large sheet with loads of facts at the front. Put into groups (not too large). One person in each group gets to come up and study the sheet for a minute. Then go back and they get three minutes to relay this to others who then write/ draw/ label the diagram.

Pictionary in groups.

Definitions on one card, meanings on others (do it on computer and laminate). In pairs match. Then play memory game.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: