Talk

Advanced search

Request for flexible working - any advice?

(5 Posts)
MissObsessed Wed 22-Mar-17 10:03:49

I'm currently on maternity leave and likely to go back to work around June. I work in a primary school and I would like to return 3 days a week and have had a meeting with my Head so she is aware.

Instead of writing a letter she gave me an application form to fill in. There is a section asking for the impact my request would have and then how the impact could be dealt with. Everything I think of makes it sound like it's a bad idea for the school!

Is it just a case of saying the impact would be having to find someone to job share with me but this could be lessened by there already being 5 part time members of staff so there are already options for this within the school?

Also I would prefer to work Mon, Tues, Weds but could accommodate Weds, Thurs, Fri if necessary. Would putting both options on the form increase my chances of being accepted?

Any tips would be great! Feel a bit nervous about it all confused

Melaniaspilatesinstructor Wed 22-Mar-17 20:03:20

Watching with interest as I'm in your position but am going to ask for 2 days (fingers crossed)
Are you going to use your 10 KIT days prior to your return?

wowbutter Wed 22-Mar-17 20:06:16

Yes, put both.
Things that could happen to the school, try and spin them into positives.

Impacts- no continuity f staff means more creativity, different approaches, less likelihood f stress etc.

Gingernut81 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:07:05

I requested 2 or 3 days and said I would fit around school. I remember when I filled it in it did sound negative but it was accepted. I'll try & dig out my letter for you

MissObsessed Wed 22-Mar-17 20:51:04

Good luck with your request melania also totally forgot about KIT days! What can I use them for? Is it just for things like insets?

wowbutter thank you, hadn't thought of things like different approaches etc

That would be great gingernut I'm hopeful it will be accepted because we already have 5 part time members of staff, 3 of whom came back part time after maternity leave but there's still that worry in the back of my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now