Talk

Advanced search

Your school's behaviour systems

(16 Posts)
LornaD40 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:08:16

A bit of a curious one following a conversation at school today...

Does your school use isolation/internal exclusion as a sanction, and what for? Is it used often or rarely?

We have an isolation room which is used either if students are removed from a lesson for disruptive behaviour, or an an internal exclusion for more serious misdemeanours like fighting.

Ours is used for similar reasons to yours. My previous school also had the same kind of space.

My son's school (primary) has a room they can be removed to, but it has lego and calming activities rather than cubicles & desks.

WyfOfBathe Tue 21-Mar-17 23:22:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WyfOfBathe Tue 21-Mar-17 23:26:05

Should have read your post properly grin.

Ours is used for the same reasons as yours. What qualifies as disrupting a lesson varies though, e.g. one colleague phoned for on call when a student swore in class, whereas I've only ever phoned when there's a fight or threat of violence.

tissuesosoft Tue 21-Mar-17 23:30:15

We have the same as you OP but we also have a warning system to follow before SLT/HOD is called to remove from a lesson. Our isolation room is always full, as with the internal exclusion rooms.

DumbledoresApprentice Wed 22-Mar-17 19:17:14

We don't have a specific room but there are places students can be taken if they are removed from class. Removal from class happens after a certain number of 'steps' on our behaviour procedure for low-level stuff. Things that result in automatic removal include confrontational behaviour (arguing back, muttering under their breath, swearing), refusal to move seat when asked or deliberate theatrics when moving, violence and use of a mobile phone. I've never encountered violence or threat of violence in class although there are very occasional violent incidents on the playground and corridors.

wannabestressfree Wed 22-Mar-17 19:22:26

We have two and I run them both- am a teacher. One is a short term e.g. Day isolation for incidents like fighting and one is long term for serious poor behaviour pre exclusion or those who Miss trigger lessons e.g. Children with aspergers who need a quiet space instead of doing pe.

We are a secondary.

emochild Thu 23-Mar-17 06:55:48

Your isolation room doubles up as a quite space for children with autism???

That actually horrifies me

There's no way my child or the children that I work with would be able to separate the two and they would think they were being punished

wannabestressfree Thu 23-Mar-17 08:40:21

No there are lots of separate spaces within a space. They are not together I just oversee it all. I am aware of aspergers I have two sons with it.

Foxsox Fri 31-Mar-17 22:30:03

Yep same, we use it as a punishment for hurting someone or severe misbehaving.

I would say it's used twice a week currently in a school of 500 kids.

Euphemia Sat 01-Apr-17 09:26:58

I work in a tiny school with a shared HT. Often there's no-one to remove a badly-behaved child. There's swearing, backchat, fighting and no-one to come and take the child out. It's incredibly stressful.

EvilTwins Sun 02-Apr-17 21:51:33

We have a room for isolations. We have a very clear system - one warning and then they're out. If they get sent to isolation, I have to log it on the online system but they have to make their own way there. If they don't make it, there is a further sanction. When we started this system (just over a year ago) there were loads of kids in it every day but it's down to about 4 or 5 a day now on a bad day. Sometimes there are none. If they get sent out, they stay in isolation for the rest of the day, for an after school detention and then for the following day up to the point where they were sent out (so if they get sent out P3 on a Tuesday, they're there for the rest of Tuesday and P1 & P2 on Wednesday) Teachers are expected to go and see the child and speak to them at some point during their isolation time to discuss how not to make the same bad choices in the following lesson etc. As a HOD I have to do one period of isolation duty per week. The rest is done by SLT and its managed by a specific dedicated person.

LornaD40 Mon 03-Apr-17 22:43:41

Evil - your system sounds pretty much identical to ours!

CountryCaterpillar Mon 03-Apr-17 22:45:37

I taught in a girls school and a 6th form college. No isolation! I know our local school uses it though. Is it a new thing?

CountryCaterpillar Mon 03-Apr-17 22:46:28

Our local school had a room full in isolation when it rebranded. Not sure that's really isolation....

armpitz Mon 03-Apr-17 22:47:20

C1 (kid flings his arms out, drops his jaw in disbelief and looks round in mute incredulity at his mates)

C2 (kid: but I didn't doooooo nuffin OH MY GOOOOOODDDD)

C3 (I ain't going to HER)

Resolution room where precisely nothing gets resolved grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now