Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! How much responsibility for an HLTA?

(3 Posts)
WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Tue 21-Mar-17 15:07:45

I'm a qualified teacher but my current role is paid as an HLTA. I co-ordinate a particular department within the school (primary), have a line manager role (supporting two TAs), am deputy designated safeguarding officer (so attend fairly regular meetings accordingly) and am about to take on an additional lead practitioner role with regards to SEN. I'm also given additional things to do on top of what I consider to be my 'day job'. Because I'm an HLTA I'm on an hourly contract but I regularly work over my contracted hours, dealing with things over lunchtimes or staying later than I should because something's come up.

I'm feeling completely overloaded and would like to approach my head to discuss my pay. I can't find anything useful on my union website or any kind of helpline number, just a mobile number for the regional secretary but I'm not sure if I'm meant to ring him for this sort of query!

Any thoughts or experience would be really appreciated.

TIA smile

toomuchicecream Tue 21-Mar-17 17:54:07

Is it the pay that's your main issue or your workload? Because it sounds as if the problem is that they've given you so many extra jobs to do, it just isn't possible to do your work within the allocated time.

Would it work if you kept/created some kind of time log, showing how much time you spend each week on each of the things you've listed? Then you have the basis of a discussion with your Head. Either they can offer to pay you more money to cover all of the things that they are asking you to do, or they can take away some of the things you are doing. But I think you need the evidence of how you are using your time and how much all the extra jobs impacts on your ability to do the day job.

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Tue 21-Mar-17 22:40:31

That's a good point and thinking about it, I suppose it's a bit of both. I'd be reluctant to stop doing some of the additional things I do such as the safeguarding and the new lead role, but I'd willingly lose some others.

I've often thought about noting down how I spend my time each week so think I'll definitely do that. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now