Talk

Advanced search

When to ask for p/t

(4 Posts)
ThisBirdCanSing Mon 20-Mar-17 10:56:09

Hello,

Some advice needed please.

I have been teaching for approx 10 years and HoD for 4. I joined a new secondary school as HoD in sept, and am really enjoying the appointment, but with two small children (both under 6) I am dealing with a lot of working mum guilt.

I enjoy my job and am really organised so manage my workload efficiently. As in every school, hours are long, workload is heavy, but I manage. I just don't WANT to miss out on seeing my kids so much.

Considering I've only been there since Sept, when do you think it would be appropriate to ask to drop to 4 days?

I realise I haven't been there long enough to prove myself, but also if it is to be in place for Sept, I need to realistically ask before it's too late for them to put anything in place. How would you look upon someone asking to drop hours so early in their employment with you?

For what it's worth, I've been 4 days as HoD previously, so think the school probably gets the better deal - same expectations and pressure on me for results, standards etc but for less money...

Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CarrieBlue Mon 20-Mar-17 11:36:15

We were asked to put flexible working requests in in January or earlier because the timetable would be being done from that time. You may be too late for this September.
Remember, if they do agree you may well not get a full day off as 0.8 FTE, which may or may not suit you - I found it better to have more afternoons once the kids were at school and had play dates/after school clubs that they needed fetching from or shows that needed you to go to - before that a whole day was much more use.

ThisBirdCanSing Mon 20-Mar-17 11:57:56

Thank you.

Surely schools need to revise their staffing arrangements once the May 31st deadline for resignations has passed, and also when GCSE options have been completed?

January seems very early to submit requests. Hopefully I wouldn't be too late submitting a request now...

I think if you want it for september then you need to ask now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now