We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stay and ttc or wait and move schools?

(8 Posts)
Bambino90 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:32:00

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a pretty tough decision. We have been ttc for a little while now but nothing's happened yet...we haven't been trying seriously just no longer using contraception and carrying on as normal. But now I'm faced with a decision to stay or go. Here's the situation:

STAY
Basically due to budget cuts. I can either stay and teach reception, year 1, and year 2 together (would still be no more than 25 children) with 1 TA. All other teachers I started with and other staff have left either to leaving generally/redundancies/retiring. I have a 35min commute to work and things will be tough. But if I don't stay and due to a chain of events the school could eventually end up closing (safe for next year though) we are a tiny rural school and are desperately trying to recruit more children. But I could stay and seriously ttc and risk it being really hard work and awful OR

LEAVE
Find a new job closer to home. Put off ttc for at least a year. And face the guilt of leaving when 4 other members of staff including 2 teachers are already leaving (there's only 4 of us!)

What would you do? I know no one can decide for me but I'm really stuck about this decision and could just do with some friendly advice.

PotteringAlong Sun 19-Mar-17 17:37:20

I stayed and am currently on maternity leave from a school I'm fairly certain will close within 18 months. BUT it's my 3rd baby so had age gaps to consider and redundancy pay would enable me to have a few years off which came into my gamble.

Bambino90 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:45:11

I have only been there 3 years so wouldn't be a lot redundancy pay. So would you stay even though the school faces an uncertain future and could be the toughest Year your yet to face?

PotteringAlong Sun 19-Mar-17 19:01:56

In your position if I could wait ttc for another year i would probably move

Bambino90 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:22:38

Thank you. I feel so torn at the moment and just not sure which way to go! X

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 19-Mar-17 23:29:09

TTC is never guaranteed. I'd do what's best for your career long-term.

Astro55 Sun 19-Mar-17 23:32:46

If you stay the school may close and you won't have a job to go back to

If you leave - you will have a higher chance of a job to go back to

Either way I would put off having a baby for 6 months due to school years - that way you'll get a year in a new school

Bambino90 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:09:12

Thanks for all the advice! I have decided we are going to carry on as normal while I look for a job. If I happen to fall pregnant I will stay where I am. If I find my dream job post we will wait to ttc 

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now