Talk

Advanced search

Does this seem dodgy?

(7 Posts)
LadyEastEnd Tue 14-Mar-17 23:01:41

Just found out that our newish head is the business partner of the new business manager that has recently been brought in. They had this business interest before joining the school and it is a business that directly relates to school leadership. Anyone else heard of this kind of thing happening? Doesn't seem right to me really - should I discuss with chair of governors? I'm assuming this was all made transparent before the appointments were made confused.

CandODad Wed 15-Mar-17 05:04:44

Unless they are doing business with the school as well as working there or working "at" the business during school time then what's the issue?

TheSnowFairy Mon 20-Mar-17 18:03:48

I would certainly hope the chair of govs knows and would be extremely concerned if they didn't!

phlebasconsidered Mon 20-Mar-17 19:55:59

Is it L.A. or Academy? My old job was at an academy and it was very much all about spreading the cash between friends and relatives. They did get investigated and paid a fine. Still swallowing up schools locally though and paying themselves handsomely!

Emphasise Mon 20-Mar-17 20:01:07

The head's business (and those of her close family/partner) interests should be declared on the school website and at every governing body meeting

LadyEastEnd Tue 21-Mar-17 09:50:11

It's a LA school. I know the head has declared his business interest to the government, but I do not know if the business manager has done the same. Of course there is no way for me to know if they are using the school for their own business' gain or progression. 5 out of 7 members of the finance committee work in the school in an admin/managerial role so I wonder how thorough the scrutiny is.

Emphasise Tue 21-Mar-17 17:59:31

How are so many committee members employed? we're only allowed one staff governor.

Business manager's business interests don't need to be declared o the website but they do to the governing body,as do those of any other staff members who have any influence over purchasing I.e site manager or finance assistant if they place orders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now