Talk

Advanced search

The fine line between confidence and arrogance

(9 Posts)
emochild Sun 12-Mar-17 17:25:43

Trying to write my supporting statement for a NQT role in primary

I've been trying for 3 days!

How do you get the balance between confidence and arrogance and still manage to stand out?

There were over 50 people that visited the school -obviously they won't all apply but it is making me worry about my application

Euphemia Sun 12-Mar-17 19:33:46

Can you give an example where you're worried you're tipping over into arrogance?

MrsDoylesladder Sun 12-Mar-17 19:49:56

The older I get ( in my 50s), the more I think that we are shit in this country for promoting confidence, particularly in women. I am a big self effacing pile of nonsense. See, I'm even lacking in confidence with that statement.
You have to be you but, if you have something good to say about yourself, please say it. And if you need to spin a few things towards the positive, give it a try.
Good luck.

emochild Sun 12-Mar-17 19:57:21

I actually can't give an example -having left it for an hour and gone back to it I'm no where near arrogance

But now I'm worried I'm not selling myself

I got a solid good in my placement against every one of the teacher standards -but I know people on my course that were outstanding -so in my head I'm never going to match up

I know this is ridiculous and there is a subjective aspect to gradings -but argh!

2Creamteas Sun 12-Mar-17 20:04:08

Personality has a lot to do with getting a job, what sort of person you are and how you will fit with the team. A head teacher will be looking for a certain type of person, just be yourself and try not to worry about everyone else

MrsDoylesladder Mon 13-Mar-17 07:18:12

I think you are overthinking it.

Euphemia Mon 13-Mar-17 07:27:20

Look at the person spec and write statements showing you match it. You will include adjectives to sell yourself, such as "successful", "well-received", etc., but you're not going to tip over into "fantastic", "lauded", etc.!

Have a look on TES for advice and examples.

Maidupmum Mon 13-Mar-17 08:00:46

Be honest but only honest with a positive spin wink
Also, make sure you say something complimentary about your visit to the school in your final paragraph, talk about how you felt that it closely aligned to your own philosophy for education or something similar. Good luck!

FartnissEverbeans Fri 17-Mar-17 04:03:31

Make sure you have evidence to back up what you say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now