Talk

Advanced search

SLT to PT teacher

(19 Posts)
Hugepeppapigfan Thu 09-Mar-17 21:19:42

I work FT as a member of the SLT at the moment and I'm considering my next move. I could apply for promoted SLT posts but I'm considering applying for a PT class teacher job. The pay cut would be considerable but I have a toddler and I would prefer to spend more time with them. DH is worried that we can't afford it but I think we waste a lot of money just now!

Has anyone else made a move from FT SLT to PT teacher?

LyndaLaHughes Thu 09-Mar-17 21:26:05

Yes. I was a DH and now do PPA cover for 3 days. I still have a TLR though. It was a brilliant move for me as my work life balance has dramatically improved and my stress levels reduced.

Hugepeppapigfan Thu 09-Mar-17 21:28:48

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.

Do you think you'll get back to being a DH in the future if you choose to?

The pay cut seems huge (and I'm struggling to justify how I somehow spend my current pay and not have much left!!!).

LyndaLaHughes Fri 10-Mar-17 13:52:09

I really don't know to be honest. The current situation is dire isn't it and I have no desire to lead in this system anymore until something drastically changes. Have you considered tutoring to boost your income? There is such demand.

LyndaLaHughes Fri 10-Mar-17 13:53:18

If you mean do you think it would hinder me from stepping up again then absolutely not. It's not like people are falling over themselves to get into senior leadership! If you are worried about it from a career perspective then I really wouldn't.

Hugepeppapigfan Fri 10-Mar-17 14:33:36

Tutoring would work for us because DH works evenings so I wouldn't be free then. But I would be happy to do some supply when DC reaches school age.

Hugepeppapigfan Fri 10-Mar-17 14:34:03

*wouldn't work!

Gossgirl Fri 10-Mar-17 19:48:23

I went from FT SLT to PT 5 years ago after I had DS2. No regrets at all. At the time I honestly thought I would be back FT (by choice) now that DS2 is in school, but I have no intention of going back ft for now. Whilst I miss my ft salary I love having the time and 'headspace' for my family. Whilst it can at times be frustrating watching less experienced colleagues getting promoted (no way would my school give leadership responsibilities to a pt teacher) I don't want to swap positions with them.

Hugepeppapigfan Fri 10-Mar-17 20:17:08

It is such a shame that schools don't really give promoted posts on a PT or job-share basis.

MaybeDoctor Sat 11-Mar-17 17:11:54

I was SLT and looked for a PT post after mat leave - the main problem was that everybody wanted them! Even in inner London and with a really good track record in getting teaching jobs, I found it hard to get interviews. In the end I left teaching.

MaybeDoctor Sat 11-Mar-17 17:12:45

Could you find another 'you' and apply as a jobshare?

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 11-Mar-17 17:27:13

All adverts say 'not open to job share' on them where I am.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 11-Mar-17 19:21:19

I went from AHT to 0.8 classroom teacher nearly a year ago ad it is the best thing I could have done. I also switched from mainstream secondary to alternative provision, which means my workload is very manageable. Went from L14 to UPS3 pro rata and feeling the financial pinch for sure, but loving the job, and DH completely supportive.

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 11-Mar-17 19:44:36

That sounds great! I'm seeing teacher jobs mainly being advertised as MPS at the moment! :-/

Bobbybobbins Sat 11-Mar-17 19:59:31

Is there any way you could stay in your current school but move to PT? I went from HOD to 0.6 after my first DS and was lucky that my school supported this.

elephantoverthehill Sat 11-Mar-17 20:05:53

If you do go PT how will this affect your pension? A number of colleagues have done the step down from SLT to classroom teacher and all of them look so much less stressed.

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 11-Mar-17 20:28:42

My school will not at all support SLT being PT. I had my request refused. I think it's really sad that it is like. :-(

My pension will suffer because it's career average now.

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 11-Mar-17 20:28:57

*like this

MaybeDoctor Sat 11-Mar-17 20:46:39

See, I think there is a difference between:

One person applying as an individual PT and the school needing to find/organise/administer the other half of the share

Two people applying as a joint-application where they have a complementary skill-set and have already worked out their pattern, preferences etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now