Talk

Advanced search

Job interview, didn't get it, feeling a bit fed up..

(22 Posts)
Youcantscaremeihavechildren Wed 08-Mar-17 17:14:45

A few of you lovely people helped me whilst I was dithering over applying for a job last week. It's a HOD, high performing school, fantastic department, probably more work/closer supervision but also closer to home, better motivation and behaviour and it might have been the thing that got me out of the doldrums I'm in at the moment, which is possibly down to my current post but also could just be the time of year etc as I'm teaching full time on little sleep and with a 2 yr old and 6 yr old, longish commute and also having to teach across three subjects, two I'm not trained for...however it does give me some flexibility to leave early and do school pickup etc and I have a lot of autonomy, easy ish life and only a few behaviour problems. Lots of lovely staff and although motivation isn't great it could be worse..

Anyway, got an interview, lots of waiting around, couldn't see department or meet staff bar 20mins at lunch, didn't see any lessons, creative subject so portfolio duly created and handed in..then looked at without us there, so no discussion. 20 min lesson, no feedback, interview very list like with no discussion just question after question...this is after being there for nearly 6 hours without any offer of food all day and finally they said we'd hear last night..no phone call last night which isn't really on. They just called, didn't get it, which I was expecting, I said ok thank you, about to ask for feedback and she said goodbye, put phone down, no feedback, nothing!
Is this what interviews are like these days then? Bloody rude!

I was beginning to think it might be brilliant and was just really kicking myself for not being on form in the interview as I had a bloody rough night with my toddler and now just feel a bit down.

elephantoverthehill Wed 08-Mar-17 17:17:33

If that is their attitude to prospective staff, what is their attitude to employed ones?

highinthesky Wed 08-Mar-17 17:19:36

It sounds like you've had a lucky escape.

You're annoyed because the post would have been more convenient for family life, which isn't unreasonable. Were you possibly a little D-mob already? The right job for you will come along so please be patient.

If you want to cheer up, watch last night's episode of Catastrophe (when the kids have gone to bed) for a demonstration of perfectly shit teaching grin

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Wed 08-Mar-17 17:22:21

It sounds like they were going through the motions and had already identified the candidate they wanted. Totally shitty for you though OP. wine later perhaps?

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Wed 08-Mar-17 17:52:27

Yeah I think I had got all excited about the prospect of a shiny new department...I did think it was all a bit off and that they all seemed to have brooms stuck up their arsed which I most definitely do not....don't think I would have fitted in!
I'm having a tiny sob at the loss of a very quick commute and lovely girls who actually do some work..unlike my smelly lazy boys who need a cattle prod to get anything out of them..said with affection of course.. I do like them really, but it's just such a different world..they were all practically silent moving around to lessons, all polite, keen, lovely.. I arrived at work this morning to hear some boy shouting to his mate that his arse was on fire and got barged about three times in the corridor on the way to break as they pegged it towards food...I've been there since long time and it's kind of comfy, but I am getting good fed up..new challenge needed yada yada..
I haven't had an interview in 9 years, forgot how demoralising it is. Might just stay where I am for the next 25 years so I don't have to go though that again. Thought I might get a free lunch at the very least!
Pinched some ideas though.....so not a total loss...
Having brew and chocolate now...once kids are in bed then wine and Catastrophe, good call!

rogueantimatter Wed 08-Mar-17 18:00:21

You come across as such a nice person. I hope you get something that really suits you soon. Sounds like the other school didn't deserve you anyway what with their lack of manners.

I have the utmost respect for good teachers. Such a tough job.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Wed 08-Mar-17 18:36:55

Aww thanks that's really nice. It's such a battering to confidence, hate job interviews!
I am lucky where I am, just a bit fed up. Could have been frying pan into a different kind of fire though!

I really think you've had a lucky escape! I've been both interviewer and interviewee recently and candidates weren't treated like that at either school. It's absolutely disgraceful that you weren't offered lunch and were given no feedback. If they treat interviewees like that then I dread to think how they treat staff.

Think of it as interview practice. Over the past few years I've interviewed a few people who hadn't interviewed for a while. None got the job I was interviewing for, but they went on to get jobs very soon afterwards - the practice was obviously helpful!

CremeEggThief Wed 08-Mar-17 19:21:30

I had a primary teaching interview on the 6th February. They had more people to see that day and the next, but they would definitely let me know by the evening of the 7th.

Still waiting, on the 8th March. angry

I've never heard of two days of interviews in teaching @cremeeggthief

Is that normal in primary? Did they have more than one post to fill?

Good luck flowers

CremeEggThief Wed 08-Mar-17 21:34:56

No, they just said they had people to see both days. I've come across it before. I've also come across lesson observations on one day and formal interviews on another day, often with a gap in between.

I've never come across not being informed of the outcome of an interview before though. That's a new one on me!

Jayfee Wed 08-Mar-17 21:42:18

Havent read the whole thread but i think you should ask for feedback. you mght have been very close to getting it

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Wed 08-Mar-17 22:14:03

Wow that's really not right @creme. Lucky escape for you too!
Luckily my Headteacher is good and I think will be relieved I didn't get it. I'm only upset as it was so stressful and is such a blow to confidence.
Imy stealing loads of ideas though so it's all good...I'm just going to really make a go of my current school and then see how things go once I'm sure I've done my best to make it work. I've only had 5 interviews including this one in 15 years of teaching so it's good experience!
I wonder if I could ask for feedback via email? Or would that be weird? Feed like giving them some feedbackind. Like feed people if you don't want them Hangry when they've waited 2 hrs to be interviewed!

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Wed 08-Mar-17 22:19:30

Oh sorry my bloody phone feel not feed and feedback!

CremeEggThief Thu 09-Mar-17 10:26:27

Onwards and upwards, Youcantscareme. Thank you.

You could certainly request feedback by email. I wouldn't offer them it though (re the hanger etc) because headteachers do talk and it's probably better to just quietly retreat rather than risk sounding like you're moaning.

Astro55 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:16:28

I have asked for feedback - and no they don't like it!! Seem pitnout that they offer to give it but don't expect anyone to actually ring and ask!!

temporarilyjerry Thu 09-Mar-17 20:35:11

Sounds as if they had someone lined up for it, OP.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 21-Mar-17 10:57:57

I worked at a gorgeous girls' school with lovely, keen, motivated girls and brilliant staff. I left after a year because the head was a fucking loon.

It could have been amazing but I remember it as one of the toughest years of my career.

I think you made a lucky escape OP. Sounds like the place had bad vibes. If it was me I probably wouldn't have taken the job anyway, based on what you've said.

RidiculousVehicle Sun 26-Mar-17 22:17:39

I also think you had a lucky escape. I am waiting to hear back from an interview and am assuming I haven't got it, as they said they'd contact the next day, but didn't. But they were impeccably polite and coffee, biscuits and lunch were offered and accepted! Honestly, if they can't be bothered to treat people nicely before they've even secured their services, it's definitely not a good place to work.

Can you get a trusted friend to do a practice interview for you? I'm sure you interview fine, but I had someone do this once and it really raised my confidence.

Hezaire Mon 27-Mar-17 20:14:59

It's really crap when you don't get the job isn't it? Even if you didn't want it!
Hope something better comes along and try not to take it personally. I wonder if it was someone internal. Sometimes it's a done deal beforehand which is annoying

unicornlovermother Tue 28-Mar-17 10:47:10

Having worked in that kind of school and now being in one with boys with arses on fire you will work a lot harder in an all girls school.Those lovely girls write heaps- think 3-4 hours to mark one class set of A level essays as each writes 8 sides.
Honestly you had a lucky escape-once you are a mum you want to minimize time you have to work outside of school and academic girls schools -LONG HOURS AND TONS OF MARKING. Stick with the vulgar boys who write bugger all but enable you to have a work life balane .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now