Talk

Advanced search

Advice for volunteering position interview

(10 Posts)
Count2three Sun 05-Mar-17 16:08:34

Hi
Tomorrow I have a 30 minute interview for a voluntary position at a primary school. All I know is it is more of an admin / teacher support than a TA child support role.

I have no teaching experience, have been a SAHM for 5 years and am looking for a change in direction. I am hoping this will lead to a paid position at the school in time.

Does anyone have any advice to offer me for the interview, please?

Boiled7Up Sun 05-Mar-17 16:28:59

For a voluntary position, I'd be surprised if it was an interview- are you sure it's not just more of a chat to check you out?

You may be asked about child protection. Basically, you never question the child and report the concern immediately to the person in charge of cp (usually the HT).

Wonderpants Sun 05-Mar-17 16:38:32

Good luck! Make sure you understand child protection policies (should be on their website), confidentiality and professionalism- you do not talk about anything that happens in school, especially not the children or anything negative, be prepared to muck in- do the mundane and mucky!
Are you volunteering for a purpose? Are you hoping for a career in education? Be clear about that and remember that it should be a reciprocal relationship- you should not be an unpaid TA or doing the job of someone that should be paid, but you should be gaining something for yourself.

SmileAndNod Sun 05-Mar-17 19:56:01

I volunteer at a primary school and didn't have an interview but did have to complete a DBS check and an induction where policies (CP, confidentiality) were discussed. They will probably ask about these, as well as maybe other skills you could bring to the school.

I decided to volunteer as my youngest was starting nursery and I wanted to do something other than mooch about the house feeling lost (sahm also). I originally volunteered to listen to readers but have have done lots from school trips to 1/1 work to putting up displays. Basically anything that is asked of me!

I enjoy it so much I have just successfully applied for a job ☺

Good luck tomorrow.

Count2three Sun 05-Mar-17 20:01:07

Thanks everyone, some very helpful points, especially around child protection.

My understanding is it will be relatively informal but I want to be prepared, especially given my lack of experience working with children.

Eventually I may wish to be paid as a TA; this is what I have my eye on in the future. But I was unsure whether to actually mention this. My intentions are not entirely altruistic but I don't want to seem presumptuous in any way.

Boiled7Up Sun 05-Mar-17 20:44:19

I would not mention that unless asked. I would also not word it as 'paid as a TA'.... the important part is the job. Not the pay- which is crappy for TAs anyway!

Astro55 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:48:18

.... and don't bang on about your own children or experience based on being a mother ...

Be happy to help - keen to learn - all round experience -

Count2three Mon 06-Mar-17 11:13:05

I think wasn't fine. As suspected, it wasn't an interview as such, just a chat to go over what I would be doing. It's going to include photocopying etc to support the teachers so the TAs can remain in class.

I begin after DBA clearance. Thanks everyone smile

Count2three Mon 06-Mar-17 11:13:58

Meant to say it went fine!

Needmorewine Mon 06-Mar-17 19:10:14

Amazing well done!! This was how I started off in schools - that was four years ago and I'm now (almost!) a qualified teacher !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now