Talk

Advanced search

Applying for different schools at the same time

(8 Posts)
floatingawayfinally Sat 04-Mar-17 22:07:32

So I'm currently in the process of applying for teaching jobs starting in September. I have applied to at least 4 or 5 different schools and am starting to get called for interviews.

I went to a job interview on Wednesday and thought it went reasonably well. I haven't found out the result though they did call me 3 times on Friday but I was driving at the time and when I went to all back they had left for the day. I'm now waiting for Monday to find out. However I'm not sure if I want it. I didn't particularly like the school. It's far from my home. The only positive is that there is a potential for part time work which I would love ideally.

I have another interview this week at a different school. My question is can I accept a position at school 1 which I don't really want but as a safety net whilst I continue to search for a job at a school which is more appealing. Or should I be upfront from the beginning and just say no to school 1. I might not have got the job so won't have anything to worry about but I need to be prepared just in case. What do you advise?

floatingawayfinally Sat 04-Mar-17 22:13:32

Oh I'm applying for a job at a school that I really want right now. The deadline is next week and interviews the following week. However don't know whether to turn down school 1 and potentially school 2 where I am going for an interview this week to wait on school 3 which I really like.

I know this sounds silly. I normally don't apply for jobs to different schools at the same time as it normally takes me so long to fill in one application. However as I'm keen to find work by September I have been a bit enthusiastic lets say and have perhaps applied to a few schools that I don't actually want to work in out of fear that I won't get a job at the schools I really like. Hope that makes sense.

wobblywonderwoman Sat 04-Mar-17 22:18:59

I would turn down school one and if you get school 2 - be upfront and say to are waiting on an interview for another school

seven201 Sat 04-Mar-17 22:39:56

If you accept a teaching job you can't then pull out. The very least the head would do would let all other local heads know and the worst would be some kind of legal action, although very unlikely. I don't think you should accept the first job if offered. It's a gamble though. I accepted a job that was good despite having an interview lined up for a few days later somewhere much more convenient and just as good, but I'd already resigned so couldn't risk it. You have to weigh it all up.

floatingawayfinally Sat 04-Mar-17 22:45:50

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it won't be an issue for school 1. It's just such a headache preparing for the interviews if I don't really want the job at the school. I already declined an interview at one school as although I really liked the school I realised the distance was too impractical and would make it difficult to spend any time with my dc during term time. Plus according to colleagues the school had quite a high turn over of staff despite being an outstanding school or maybe because of it.

floatingawayfinally Sat 04-Mar-17 22:47:26

*Spend time with my dc during the week I mean because of the commute.

GHGN Sun 05-Mar-17 09:31:07

I think you should only apply to a school if given an offer, you would take it. Otherwise, you will end up with this situation.

The question you should ask yourself is this: if you go to the interview at school 2, they offer you the job and at a maximum give you 24 hours to consider. Do you then turn it down and wait for school 3 with the uncertainty that you might or might not get a job there?

In the past, I had turned down interviews and then wasn't offered even an interview at my preferred school smile Also, I had been offered a lot of jobs in the past and they only gave a maximum of 24 hours. A school even sat all the candidates in the waiting room, they called me in the Head's office, offered me the job, put a signed and dated contract on the table and expected me to read and sign it there and then. The longest period that I was given is for my upcoming job, they interviewed on Thursday, offered the job in the evening and due to pay negotiation, they were willing to wait until the following Monday.

Don't accept job and then keep looking, especially in the same borough or county. Most heads know each other, same as DH or HoD. In our local HoD meeting, thing like this was discussed sometimes.

samlovesdilys Sun 05-Mar-17 20:32:42

When you get to final interview, after the gruelling day of activities, aren't you asked if you are a firm contender? That is your opportunity to say it is too far/not the school for you. If you then interview they expect you to say yes tbh. Please don't say yes, then turn it down later. That is really bad, sorry. I'm guessing if they tried you 3 times on Friday they want to offer the job to you so be clear what your answer will be before you answer! Good luck for future interviews!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now