Talk

Advanced search

GCSE sciences - can anyone help?

(8 Posts)
isthistoonosy Thu 02-Mar-17 07:31:25

I'm in Sweden and I've just started working as a classroom assistant with some (equivalent to) yr 9 - yr 11 kids from abroad who speak English. I'm helping them with sciences. I think it would be useful for them to have a glossary of the most common words and explanations in English to refer to when reading the books (I can add the Swedish words).

Does anyone know of any good resources I can use (obv I don't have any English text books).

If you've any ideas of other things / websites etc that could be useful that would be great too.
Thnanks

monkeysox Thu 02-Mar-17 11:21:00

BBC bitesize?

isthistoonosy Thu 02-Mar-17 20:19:12

Hopeful bump, bitesize doesn't work fully over here.

AnaG1ypta Thu 02-Mar-17 21:14:54

Could you buy some textbooks from Amazon? Cheap as chips for old specs.

greathat Thu 02-Mar-17 21:18:27

There are too many! You can get science specific dictionaries, you are looking at books worth

isthistoonosy Thu 02-Mar-17 21:50:44

Any suggestions on which books are good for all three sciences and glossaries in particular?

isthistoonosy Thu 02-Mar-17 21:52:43

I know a glossary of all science terms would be a dictionary but specifically gcse stuff, os it really too much for an excel sheet? The kids have Ipads in class.

sashh Fri 03-Mar-17 06:14:30

Hej

I had similar, taught a group who had been taught in Welsh to age 16 but now in an English college - twas fun.

I would pic a GCSE exam board, Edexel, OCR, AQA etc.

Have a look at their websites and their recommended text book(s) then buy one of their recommended books for each science.

The GCSE revision guides might also give you enough information. These can be got from Amazon. As GCSEs are changing from A8-G to 9-1 grading and the syllabus is changing the 'old' text books should be cheap.

Get the kids to do their own glossary, it will be a useful learning tool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now