Talk

Advanced search

Teach first

(7 Posts)
BobbinsBoo1 Sun 26-Feb-17 20:47:18

Has anyone become a teacher via teach first? I'm trying to decided between a pace or teach first so would be interested to hear any opinions on teach first

bizarrelyjubilant Sun 26-Feb-17 20:47:45

Teach first.

monkeysox Fri 03-Mar-17 19:25:00

Have seen other people do this. It's brutal.

GHGN Fri 03-Mar-17 20:33:20

I was offered a place on TF and a PGCE. I chose the PGCE as I wanted to take time to learn the skills and gain experience. It is like learning to walk then running rather than running straight away. Some people can do it, I couldn't. But I have lasted quite a few years now smile

MrsTwix Thu 09-Mar-17 15:57:09

PGCE is better in my opinion, teach first shoves you in at the deep end.

Stressedouttraineeteacher Thu 09-Mar-17 20:33:59

I've just come on here to talk about how I feel like I am drowning in work... I am doing Teach First... I don't know how a PGCE works, so can't really compare. I like that you're in the same school for two years with TF, I don't like the workload - you start with an NQT timetable (80% teaching) after six weeks training over summer. It is, as mentioned, brutal. I am not considering giving up, but don't expect to do much apart from sleeping and working the first year - I give myself two hours each evening and that is only because I can't sleep otherwise. Upside is that you've got a guaranteed income for two years and don't need to pay for your PGCE. I'd ask around to get people's experiences of doing both.

u123 Thu 09-Mar-17 22:45:41

Just to say I did teach first too. It depends on your school to be honest
Also you should start on a 60% timetable not 80%!
Feel free to ask any questions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now