Talk

Advanced search

Should I resign or stick it out?

(18 Posts)
searchingforsunshine395 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:01:23

Good morning,

I have been working in a school for two years and have become more aware over that time of how frustratingly calculated and awful SLT can be. They have no empathy or compassion, whatsoever, even in the worst personal circumstance.

I have also noticed the overall behaviour of students decline and no support is given by SLT, unless it's to those who are in one way or another, affiliated with them, in which case everything is glorious and outstanding.

I have always wanted to be a teacher, but (not to sound dramatic, although I do) this has broken my teaching heart. Every day I go to work, my blood boils with all of the unfairness for kids and staff. I'm not even sure I want to be a teacher any more. I feel thoroughly demotivated, exhausted and ambivalent about the whole thing.

I want to leave. In the back of my mind, I know I wouldn't think twice if I were in any other profession. I'd just hand my notice in. I planned on leaving at the end of the school year, whether I had a job lined up or not, but now I want to get out even sooner and find another job/s.

The school is experiencing a mass exodus and I feel a tremendous amount of guilt. I do have a year 11 class, too. I planned to leave in May when all of their formal teaching is over and it's just revision, knowing I'd done all I could.

Economically, it's better for me to stay until the end of the year, of course, although I would earn more on regular supply than I do currently.

I'd just like some advice really, if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance.

RandomDent Sun 26-Feb-17 09:04:51

Start looking for work in other schools. Each school has a unique personality and it's important to get the right fit for you. If you do, it will be a new lease of life for you. Ignore the guilt about "abandoning" your students, they will get someone else and at the end of the day that is not your responsibility.
Good luck. smile

hesterton Sun 26-Feb-17 09:06:23

If you have a permanent contract, surely you can't leave in May? Isn't it too late?

IHeartKingThistle Sun 26-Feb-17 09:06:59

If you were planning to leave in May is probably stick it out till July- it's only a few more weeks with less teaching. It doesn't look great to abruptly leave mid year (assuming you will stay in teaching?).

I do sympathise though. I left a school I hated and every minute was a lifetime.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 26-Feb-17 09:07:28

I'd, not is!

TheJiminyConjecture Sun 26-Feb-17 09:08:59

I left at Christmas. Was the absolute best thing for my mental health and family. I've taught for 10 years but I'm not sure if teaching is for me anymore. My school was horrific though. So I'm wondering if trying a new school would help.

HuckleberryGin Sun 26-Feb-17 09:09:16

You can't leave in May. Only Easter or Summer. Anything outside that needs permission of head. Teachers leaving dates are set.

I'd look for another school first. But I left teaching 18 months ago and don't regret it

Runningissimple Sun 26-Feb-17 09:11:26

School's are very different though I disagree with ignoring guilt about abandoning student ends. Leaving a year 11 class just before their exams is irresponsible (unless you are seriously ill etc). Stick it out till study leabe, sounds like that what you're planning and then leave. Not all schools are the same. Sorry you've had such a crappy experience. flowers

Bunkai Sun 26-Feb-17 09:11:50

Easier to find a job while you're in a job. In this case it means that at interview you explain you're looking for a new challenge yada-yada rather than having an uncomfortable conversation on why you left (and potentially having to explain a gap in your employment).

Plus you keep money coming in. Personally as a single mum, while I'm all for finding the right job, practicalities mean I must cover the bills. My advice is be strategic but get out as soon as you can.

Runningissimple Sun 26-Feb-17 09:12:06

Schools- I can use an apostrophe!

searchingforsunshine395 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:35:10

Thanks for all your responses. I know that somebody else who wanted to leave was offered to go part-time and just teach Year 11, which despite the drop in pay, sounds absolutely blissful right now.

Should I give notice of my intention to leave now, or should I wait until the deadline for summer resignations? This is my first teaching job, so I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

RememberToSmile1980 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:38:54

Hi
It seems as though this is putting you off teaching. I would wait until Easter or May to hand in your resignation. You will then be paid until the end of the summer holidays.
I would suggest you start looking at other jobs - it's much easier whilst you are still in a job. Supply doesn't look very good over a long period of time.
How long have you been teaching?

Bubblysqueak Sun 26-Feb-17 09:41:08

I felt exactly the same and started my own thread a few weeks ago (I don't know.if I. Want to.be a teacher anymore).

I handed my notice in on Monday and I leave at Easter. The relief is amazing. Although I love my job I hate the school. I have no idea what I'm going to do, but at the moment I'm concentrating on getting my mental health back.

searchingforsunshine395 Sun 26-Feb-17 11:53:19

I do feel as though I've been put off teaching, but I will probably hand my notice in at Easter to leave in the summer. I have only been teaching for two years. My partner and I wanted to try for a baby, so there are a lot of factors impacting my decision and plan of action.

I can imagine it's a huge relief for you, Bubblysqeak. Good luck with everything. smile

hesterton Sun 26-Feb-17 12:08:41

There are lovely schools to work in too. Maybe a change of school rather than bailing on teaching altogether?

My current school has a brilliant head who manages to be very student focused without pooing at great height on staff. I feel very supported and although it's always going to be a tough job, staff here are in it together and that includes leadership. So don't give up!

Dreamanddream Sun 26-Feb-17 12:25:06

You have to hand your notice in in May to leave in the summer. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from.

Runningissimple Sun 26-Feb-17 15:18:25

My second year was one of my hardest years in teaching. You lose your NQT timetable but you're still spending ages planning and marking. Year three was much better.

Some schools are definitely better than others. Good luck flowers

toomuchicecream Sun 26-Feb-17 19:08:19

If you resign by Tuesday you could leave at Easter ;)

However, if you can stick it out to the end of the year, I think it would be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now