Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear in primary teaching?

(23 Posts)
Moxiechick Sat 25-Feb-17 09:12:11

Hi, I last taught 4 years ago before taking time off to stay at home with dd and I'll be returning in September.
I feel like being at home I've lost all sense of my own style and what suits me. Although I know I mainly need comfy clothes for getting on the floor ect.
Where do you buy your work clothes from? And what do you usually go for?
Thanks

thatone Sat 25-Feb-17 10:04:11

I am in Early Years, tend to wear a lot from H&M as its reasonably priced and durable - so long-sleeved tops with cardigans, when cold and (not blue) jeans. But I feel the cold a lot so need lots of layers. Am outside a lot too so invested in a warm and waterproof hooded coat.

Other teachers wear dresses with tights, smarter trousers with colourful tops or tops and leggings.

PinkIkeaZippys Sat 25-Feb-17 10:40:13

Remember- can't see through it, up it or down it!

It depends on what stage I have. Infants I usually buy from Tesco/Sainsbury's/H&M because of the mess, if I am with an older class I normally buy some better-quality things (Joules etc).

I like dresses and tights. We aren't allowed leggings.

PicInAttic Sat 25-Feb-17 13:30:48

PinkIkea - that is exactly my clothing mantra too! Pretty much anything 'smart-casual' goes so long as it meets those rules.

ellesbellesxxx Sat 25-Feb-17 13:31:55

Not allowed leggings?! I would not have a clue what to wear... leggings and long tops/dresses are my staple work wardrobe!

emochild Sat 25-Feb-17 13:37:06

We aren't allowed leggings either and it's a pain as I feel much more confident in a dress with leggings than the same dress and tights

I tend to wear stretchy tube skirts and a blouse or top with a cardigan

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sat 25-Feb-17 15:39:15

We have a no denim and no shorts rule. That's it.

I prefer sports style clothes. It's comfy and easy to move about it but tend to wear black trousers and a smart/casual top on non PE days.

My shoes are flats though. No heels at all. Feet would kill me after 10-11 hours of being in my feet all day.

DanyellasDonkey Sat 25-Feb-17 15:59:00

Never worked in a school that told you what you can or can't wear. I'm with little ones atm so tend to wear black trousers and top or leggings and a long top for PE days, I have about 6 cardigans from M and S and Next that are great as temperature can be variable

rollonthesummer Mon 27-Feb-17 13:16:54

I would hate to have a 'no leggings' rule!

I can understand why they might not like you to wear eg leggings and a top, but I wear mine as tights under a knee length dress or skirt usually. They are so much more comfortable (and warm) than tights! I can't imagine my head has even noticed they're not tights!

As long as we don't wear jeans or show the three Ts--'tits, toes or tummies' we're ok!!

NapQueen Mon 27-Feb-17 13:18:41

Dds Reception teacher wears black trousers with knee boots and a floaty top. Her TA wears cropped trousers and a tshirt style top and canvas shoes. They always look so neat and together and not bedragled im envious!

user1483387154 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:19:57

Black trousers and coloured shirts generally from Next. Cardigan to hand incase it gets chilly but nothing especially fashionable just good quality so it lasts longer.

DanyellasDonkey Mon 27-Feb-17 21:35:20

Rollonthesummer I can understand not showing tits and tummies, but toes......?

OSETmum Mon 27-Feb-17 21:43:25

Usually a dress with tights but if it's very cold and I'm on duty I can get away with black jeggings and a jumper with a vest top underneath. I usually wear boots or patent heels with a strap across.

On those hot days that I can barely dream of at the moment I wear a floatier dress with cropped leggings and converse.

jmh740 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:04:18

We have the no leggings rule too, no toes and also no sleeveless tops or shoulder less tops which seem to be all over could see when I went clothes shopping yesterday! I usually wear trousers then a t shirt and cardigan, our classroom is freezing one minute and boiling the next.

MrsGsnow18 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:13:17

We have a smart/casual dress code which is open to a lot of interpretation I think. We wouldn't be allowed leggings as trousers. Bottoms must be covered. No cleavage and no blue denim is allowed.
I mostly wear dresses with leggings or tights. I wear leggings as tights with knee length dresses , I think in this way they cover up a lot more than tights. When I do wear tights they are usually very thick tights.
Some members of staff wear coloured jeans and blouses, some wear chinos.
I just find it much easier with a dress as there isn't much to match together!

faithinthesound Wed 12-Apr-17 10:15:09

My sister's rule of thumb is "if you can see up it, down it, or through it, it's not acceptable". (She's a primary school teacher. I'm currently training to be one.)

DandelionAndBedrock Wed 12-Apr-17 10:56:03

I used to buy staple dresses from Hobbs but they went very synthetic a few years ago and it put me off. My favourite work clothes at the moment are from Sainsbury's, or (whispers) M&S.

I try to wear things that can be tumble dried at the start of the week in case something goes wrong and I need an extra outfit. I also keep a thin cardigan, a thicker knitted cardigan, a thin scarf, a thicker scarf, a pair of gloves and a pair of sunglasses in my cupboard at school. Drives my TA mad but it means I always have layers to choose from, so in the morning I just pick one of my work dresses, pull on a pair of tights and I'm good to go. I leave my work shoes at work and commute in trainers or flats.

BringOnTheScience Wed 12-Apr-17 16:06:37

My primary uniform was:
Black trousers from Tesco.
Long sleeved tees in bright colours from Next & Primark.
Chunky necklaces or floaty scarves for variety.
Cardigans with pockets.
Plain black shoes or ankle boots.

Nothing that you'll be upset about when (not if!) It gets covered in pva / paint / whiteboard marker.

Good warm long coat with a hood for break duty.
Gloves.

Teatimebear Fri 14-Apr-17 21:26:15

We can wear pretty much whatever (colleagues wear shorts and t-shirt for eg).

I wear jeans (from normal denim colour to dark blue), plain black trainers and a niceish t-shirt-style top from M&S. Blouses do NOT suit me, and I don't do accessories.

I really never understand bans on sleeveless tops or leggings under dresses. What on earth is the purpose? Things like that make me SO irrationally angry!

Teatimebear Fri 14-Apr-17 21:29:36

(in smarter schools where I did my PGCE I wore the same M&S tops, but with black work trousers, and soft laceups from Clarks. Look up 'shoes nurses wear')

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Fri 14-Apr-17 21:37:37

No dress code here.

I wear dresses a lot but not with leggings. Cardigan or jacket on or off depending on the weather. I've got quite a few skirts, longer length jersey tube type things with a long sleeved top.

Nothing too tight or tailored.

Allekoren Sat 15-Apr-17 19:08:19

Just out of interest, what do male primary teachers tend to wear?

Teatimebear Sat 15-Apr-17 20:05:30

In my school (which seems lax by a lot of standards), most men wear jeans/other trousers and a button-up shirt. No ties or anything like that. One in shorts and a t-shirt, but even I wish he would smarten up just a tad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now