Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a new teaching position after 9 years - crapping my pants, help.

(10 Posts)
ILoveMyMonkey Thu 23-Feb-17 10:45:14

I've been a teacher in my current school for 9 years and haven't had an interview for 11 years (I got my current position because I'd done a placement there and the head new me so no interview was done).

So now I need to move for financial reasons, I currently work part time 0.4 and need more hours for us to cope financially.

The thing is I am so scared about the whole interview process.

So if you have had an interview recently, for a class teacher position, or have conducted an interview please would you mind giving me some insight into the kind of tasks set and the sort of questions they ask these days.

I think if I feel a bit more prepared and less like I'm stabbing in the dark then some of the fear might be reduced.

I've interviewed and been an interviewee recently. First of all, you're in a good position. Anyone looking at your application will see you're willing to commit to a school. Lots of heads are looking for experienced staff so don't worry about being 'too expensive' or 'too old'.

To get as far as the interview, you need a really good covering letter. Make yourself stand out. Make it really clear why you want THAT job in THAT school. Most of the good letters I've seen are about 1.5 sides of A4 and link closely to the person spec. Shorter and you probably won't have covered everything; longer and you're probably waffling.

If you get to interview, the usual format (for secondary) is:
- meet with head
- tour of school
- meet with dept
- teach a lesson
- task (marking / data / lesson plan / something else - you won't know until the day)
- pupil interview
- panel interview

The day is intense. People often get sent home part way through. This is disheartening but my head (& others I've spoken to) don't think it's fair to put candidates through the whole day when they've realised early on (e.g. during lesson) that they're not in the running for the job.

The lesson / task etc shouldn't phase you too much as it's 'what we do' but I've seen people come unstuck in the formal interview. If you've not interviewed for 11 years, PRACTISE!

Get family / friends etc to ask you questions, look on TES for suggested questions. Nail your answers before you even get there. If you're asked a curve ball question, bridge it to something you've planned to say. Be confident.

I hope that helps. If it's primary you're going for the format might be different. There's great advice on TES too.

Sorry. That was loooooooong. I hope it's useful!

ILoveMyMonkey Thu 23-Feb-17 12:31:05

That was great truth thank you so much.

Yes I probably should have put that it's primary I'm in.

Ha! Ignore most of that and wait for someone more helpful to come along then grin

ILoveMyMonkey Thu 23-Feb-17 13:13:32

Ha ha, honestly it was really helpful I like your idea of bridging a curve ball question to something I'd planned. TBH I need all the help I can get so every tip is a valuable one grin.

ILoveMyMonkey Thu 23-Feb-17 16:43:37

Bump as anymore tips would be gratefully received.

jellyfrizz Fri 24-Feb-17 09:09:31

Hi,

For primary in my area it seems to usually be lesson, or mini-lesson with a class or group the year you will be teaching and interview - TES has got a thread full of questions that people have been asked.

One question you will ALWAYS be asked is about safeguarding.

Good luck!

ILoveMyMonkey Fri 24-Feb-17 10:22:26

Thanks so much Jelly.

cantkeepawayforever Fri 24-Feb-17 10:28:44

I would say that the outline of the day for primary is likely to be very similar to secondary, though 'meet the department' will often be 'have break in the staffroom' and there is seldom a pupil interview.

The task could be assessment - either informal such as marking or formally against e.g. Y6 descriptors - planning or data handling.

It is also normal for candidates whose lesson is not regarded as good enough to leave before the interview.

You may be encouraged to tour the school during lessons, visiting different classrooms. That's a hard one to do well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now