Talk

Advanced search

How much for 3 days?

(17 Posts)
MissObsessed Sat 11-Feb-17 09:08:00

Hi,
I'm currently on maternity leave and due to go back to work possibly May/June. Before having my DS I was full time with a TLR and on UPR 1. I always thought I would go back to this after having my baby but now that he's here the thought of getting sucked into the constant treadmill of full time teaching doesn't really appeal.

I was thinking of going back 3 days a week, however this means giving up my TLR (there are no part time TLRs at my school.) I've tried to work out how much I would bring home working 2.5 or 3 days a week but the only calculator I can find is the TES one, which was last updated Sept 2015 I think.

Would anyone mind telling me whether the figures the tes calculator tell me are about right please? I'm still paying off my student loans and I pay into the pension.

2.5 days shows up as £1184 a month and 3 days £1340, does this sound about right to others? I need to let my Head know about my intentions soon (and hope my request is granted!) so my DH and I need to do some sums to make it work smile

PotteringAlong Sat 11-Feb-17 09:11:55

I've got a 0.6 contract and UPS 2 with no TLR - sounds about right to me.

SnugglySnerd Sat 11-Feb-17 09:13:27

Sounds about right.

MissObsessed Sat 11-Feb-17 09:24:54

Thank you, can really start planning now!

Silly question, but did anyone feel nervous about making the jump to part time? I feel in my heart that it's the right thing and will give me a good balance between seeing my DS and having something for me but making the decision makes me feel really nervous! DS will be looked after by DM and MIL so no worries there.

SnugglySnerd Sat 11-Feb-17 11:03:44

It's the best thing I've done! Workload is easier to manage especially marking and I get to spend time with DD. Only downside is that I am now on mat leave again and my mat pay won't be great.

MrsWooster Sat 11-Feb-17 11:12:01

3 days at ups3 and take home £1400. No tlrs, no loans, just pension, NI etc.

MissObsessed Sat 11-Feb-17 12:54:24

That's good to hear SnugglySnerd (well apart from your next mat leave....) Can I just ask which end of the week you work? Just trying to work out which is best. We have staff meeting on Weds which means if I do MTW then there's not much time to get books marked before going home whereas if I did WTF then I'd get Friday afternoon to get sorted (and have ppa with my colleagues rather than on my own!) smile

SnugglySnerd Sat 11-Feb-17 13:23:31

I didn't get any choice in days off and both mine were mid-week. I'm secondary though so see each class a few times per week and have to fit in with the time table. My primary friends who are p/t do either start or end of week. it's good to work on Mondays so you benefit from May bank holiday

MissObsessed Sat 11-Feb-17 13:53:28

Didn't think of the bank holiday thing, that's something else to add to my mental pro and con list grin

Tbh, I might not have much choice as I will have to fit in with other job shares and they've covered my job from within the school so will just have to see. However if I have a preference I might just to lucky enough to get what I want.

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 11-Feb-17 13:56:21

I'm PT and have Mondays off so don't 'benefit' from the bank hol but it hasn't affected total days worked this year. Still 0.6 of the total 195 days. :-)

MissObsessed Sun 12-Feb-17 10:23:24

Thank you huge, do you work WTF then? How do you find it?

Mistressiggi Sun 12-Feb-17 10:28:56

They will do a calculation for bank holidays so you may end up either owing or being owed time off (or money, depending how they sort it out). I am in Scotland - what is a TLR, and why is it impossible to have one if you are part-time? Opportunities should not automatically be denied to you for being part-time.

SnugglySnerd Sun 12-Feb-17 16:59:34

TLRs are extra money for management responsibilities. Our school allows subject leaders to be p/t and the TLR is pro-rata. It's not allowed for years heads or SLT though which I understand as I don't think those jobs could work p/t.

MissObsessed Sun 12-Feb-17 18:25:47

That's what my TLR was for, year leader and SLT so unfortunately if I go back part time I won't be able to carry out that role but that's a small price to pay to get a little work life balance I suppose

SnugglySnerd Sun 12-Feb-17 18:39:07

I was year leader too! Work is much less stressful without it.
I meant to say that when you are p/t you are not expected to do all 5 INSET days either. I'm 3 days per week so only paid for 3 INSETs. I find out at the start of the year which ones are most important e.g. Safeguarding training and work out which 2 to miss and if they are on a day when I would normally be at work I make the most of a day off while DD is at nursery
The same should apply to parents evenings but it's not really possible not to attend those. Some schools might pay you for it or give time off in lieu.

MissObsessed Sun 12-Feb-17 20:51:09

The more I hear from you Snuggly the more I feel I'm doing the right thing grin I think it's true of most teachers but I feel that teaching is one of those jobs that even if you had 30 hours each day you'd still find things to do. I feel like I'd rather do 3 days well than spread myself too thinly and not be a good teacher or a good mum smile

SnugglySnerd Mon 13-Feb-17 08:13:04

Your school won't be very pleased with me then grin
I still find it a bit manic on the days when I'm at school but the reduced marking load definitely means I bring less home. I try to do school work on school nights so it doesn't interfere with my days off but I have to say that when DD still napped in the day it was a good time to get coursework marked and reports written.
I find it harder to organise things after school like detentions, revision classes etc because I tell the kids to come and see me tomorrow and then remember that I won't be there! That would be easier with 3 consecutive days though I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now