Talk

Advanced search

Eek! So excited, I start my training in September!

(11 Posts)
Lurlene Fri 10-Feb-17 18:02:17

I have just been told I have a place with School Direct in September. I've wanted to teach since I was little so this is really exciting. I know it will be tough but I can't wait to start.

My assigned school is an all boys school - can anyone share their experiences of these? Is the dynamic much different than in co-ed schools?

cantthinkofanythingwitty Sat 11-Feb-17 08:15:46

Can not offer any advice but I just wanted to say that I start my PGCE in September too

HuckleberryGin Sat 11-Feb-17 08:23:02

Good luck. I taught in a boys school, I don't think it was much different to mixed.

Join a union as soon as you start, I the NUT is free for training teachers.

70ontheinside Sat 11-Feb-17 08:55:10

Congratulations!
I don't think you can say in general what all boys schools are like. The one around here is a cesspool of male chauvinism, but I know that's not the norm.
Join all the unions, they are free for trainees.

pieceofpurplesky Sat 11-Feb-17 09:06:28

Make sure that your alternative placement is mixed - looks better to have experience of both.
Listen and learn.
Ask to see as many examples of teachers of different subjects as you can
Prepare well in advance and make sure you keep all paperwork up to date - SD are obsessed with the paperwork - More so than PGCE

pieceofpurplesky Sat 11-Feb-17 09:06:56

Pressed too soon!

pieceofpurplesky Sat 11-Feb-17 09:10:46

And again! I Blame my sore throat
Remember the key thing is progress and it needs to be shown in all lessons. I am a trainee mentor and one of the common mistakes is to do great lessons that are all active - but no progress is made
Learn the school policies - what colour do they mark in, what is the policy about seating plans, setting, behaviour ...
Good luck - you are entering the best and worst job in the world (imho) - I love it!

70ontheinside Sat 11-Feb-17 09:14:41

Agree about the mixed second placement. Also, if your home school is "good", insist that you get your placement in a "bad" school! Both my training schools were outstanding and full of well behaved kids with very supportive parents. Coming to a more challenging school was a huge shock to the system!

mayathebee Sat 11-Feb-17 13:17:58

I'm in the middle of my pgce and one of the trainees has just visited her second placement school which is all boys. The head suggested that the boys tend to be a bit less mature than in mixed schools but I don't know whether that is generally true.

SuperPug Sat 11-Feb-17 13:24:07

Good Luck!
I teach in a predominately boys' school - they can easily be the loveliest but also the trickiest in terms of behaviour.
Firm boundaries and fairness works and for them to very much know that you have their best interests at heart, while knowing they can't stamp all over you. Use their sanction system and try not to let bad responses from pupils really get to you. Sorry, this is for all pupils.
Be prepared for extreme highs and lows. Fantastic when a lesson really works but there will be absolute disasters. Planning and creation of resources can take ages. TES resources are no longer free- depending on what you're teaching, Zig Zag education can be great but the resources are expensive.
Post training is much better- less evaluation forms and paperwork, depending on the school you're in.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:14:55

Great opportunity to explore how boys progress, always a biggie in co-ed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now