Advanced search

Offered rate for supply. Now agency wants to reduce it.

(16 Posts)
JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 18:41:57

I've signed up with a three supply agencies but my experience means I'm quite expensive, the agencies know this and should be marketing me as such. The school I interviewed at today definitely know this I am experienced but expensive.

I had an interview today, the agency told me the rate beforehand. Fair enough. It was for a 0.6 job although I would like full time, when I spoke to the HOD at interview I said I would like full time and she said she thought they could do this. The school offered me the job but the agency has come back to ask if I would do it on a reduced rate. But it was the agency who decided the rate, not me!

The school are reluctant to pay the rate quoted by the agency, though I don't know why they hadn't had this discussion beforehand.

The agency said 'if we get you 4 days a week would you do it for £10 less a day? I think we can get you a permanent contract.'
My response was 'I'll do it for £10 less a day for 5 days a week'.
The agency said 'will you do it for £20 less for 5 days a week?'.
I said 'try £10 less a day for 5 days a week and a permanent contract, then come back to me'.

My real bugbear is that having being told by the agency that it would be x amount I shouldn't behaving to horse trade with them.

I'm fortunate in that I teach a shortage subject so I have other interviews lined up.

I assume the higher rate would eat into their commission?

Should I stick to my guns on this one?

OP’s posts: |
JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 18:43:34

That should say be be having

OP’s posts: |
ChuckSnowballs Tue 07-Feb-17 18:51:42

Yes definitely. Are they paying through an umbrella company as that will reduce it even more. Bastards.

Lazyjane76 Tue 07-Feb-17 18:56:02

Definitely call their bluff, if they persist walk away.

JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 19:00:00

No, not an umbrella company. I've said no to that, when they were explaining umbrella companies to me I didn't really understand the ins and outs of it so I said 'no'!

It's a shame because I might lose this job over this, on the other hand I suppose if I don't get the job then they don't get paid either, so it's in their interests to sort it out.

I've got two more interviews this week to start after half term, both with different agencies so I should get something.

OP’s posts: |
rollonthesummer Tue 07-Feb-17 19:00:58

If you are in a shortage subject and have other interviews lined up, I would speak to the HOD and turn the role down. Say you were really interested but it was a shame the agency were only going to pay you x.

And see what the school say.

JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 19:03:57

I was tempted to contact the school directly rollon because I used to teach with the HOD, we get on well and she knows I'm work the money.

I forgot to say; thank you for your quick responses and I'm glad you don't think IABU for sticking to my guns on this one.

OP’s posts: |
JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 19:04:39

<sigh> that should be worth, not work, obviously.
It's been a long day!

OP’s posts: |
EweAreHere Tue 07-Feb-17 19:10:39

I think you should hold firm. You have the background they want, and you have two other interviews already lined up.

You are worth the money, and the agency knows it.

Can you go behind their backs to the HOD of the school and see what they say? Not sure what you've signed...

CharleyDavidson Tue 07-Feb-17 19:20:09

I am so glad I'm not in the supply market these days.

When I qualified, it was very straightforward. You signed up to the county and they sent out lists of supply teachers to schools, or you could approach a school directly with your details in the hope they'd come straight to you instead of trawling through the alphabet.

The only rate of pay was your 1/195th of your salary on the standard pay scale. If you did a morning you got 55% of that rate and if you did an afternoon you got 45%. I did work for several counties and it was all the same.

I appreciate that supply agencies make it easier for school's to get supply teachers, but it feels very wrong that teachers are paying less than they deserve for their level of experience.

JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 19:38:11

I don't think I signed anything ewe and besides, I'm not planning to negotiate a salary with the school, but I could just make them aware of the situation.
They advertised the job and didn't get a single applicant, I was the only one the agency could put forward too, so I think they would like to hold on to me if they could.

OP’s posts: |
rollonthesummer Tue 07-Feb-17 20:58:09

They advertised the job and didn't get a single applicant, I was the only one the agency could put forward too, so I think they would like to hold on to me if they could.

It sounds like the agents are being greedy arses. Hold firm!!

JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 21:07:12

Should I approach the school directly? Or is that a bad idea?
Obviously, I wouldn't enter into any pay negotiations with them as that's contractually binding but if I tell them it might change the school's outlook.

OP’s posts: |
rollonthesummer Tue 07-Feb-17 21:15:29

I would tell your friend who is head of department that you will probably be turning the job down and why, and see what she says/does...

JustJoyKingabout Tue 07-Feb-17 21:24:22

We are former colleagues who are friendly, rather than friends so I don't have a way of contacting her other than through the school website.

OP’s posts: |
MiaowTheCat Wed 08-Feb-17 10:32:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in