Talk

Advanced search

Home/school communication book...

(5 Posts)
Starlight2345 Sat 04-Feb-17 14:51:10

School have started one due to increasing problems at school . But also he is bringing home the negatives and amplifying none of the positives..

My question is what do the school actually want back from me. I do know the teacher is the best person to ask but really I am at the point I feel mortified going in the classroom again..DS is year 5.

BeanAnTi Sat 04-Feb-17 14:53:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

insan1tyscartching Sat 04-Feb-17 15:31:02

Dd has a communication book as it's a requirement of her statement of SEN. Dd has no behaviour problems but has ASD. Initially school used communication book to feedback what dd was studying which was pretty much useless considering each subject curriculum is available on website. Now her TA's detail the support she has needed and been given, any information from school I need (and dd might forget), homework and deadlines, their observations on how dd is coping.
I detail anything that school should be aware of, high anxiety/not eating/not sleeping, any concerns dd might have communicated to me, reminders if there is homework/forms/cash with dd to be handed in and how she has been evening and morning as this is usually a good indicator on how she has fared the day previously and will fare that day.
I'd disagree that there shouldn't be positives in there because it's important to have a way to reinforce what your ds has done well and should be doing more of.
I wouldn't punish at home if my dc had been punished at school but I would write that I had talked about what had happened and what would have been a better choice to make with ds. I'd also detail how ds had been at home, whetehr he was happy to go to school and any concerns ds had told me.
Does your ds have any diagnosis? Is he getting support in school? Has he been seen by the behaviour support team? Is there a reason that you know /suspect for the downturn in behaviour? Is this being addressed?

Starlight2345 Sat 04-Feb-17 16:13:46

They are telling you the truth. You do not set up a home school book to send home nice little notes.

You are misunderstanding me.I wasn't very clear..It is what my DS is saying is amplyfying the negatives. He may of done something really well got praise but will only tell me what they teacher said was wrong. He will be upset about this so in theory if he does something well. I will have the whole story to boost his self esteem. I do not dispute anything written in the book. I just don't know what the school want me to write back.

He is currently been assessed for SEN. No idea why things are getting worse except the higher through school he gets the harder he seems to find expectations.

No sanctions at home. We might talk about what he could of done differently.The consequence belong in school and he knows I support them.

Casz Sat 04-Feb-17 16:27:35

If you don't know what to say, then just acknowledge that you have read the book. No point in writing reams.

Just write "Thank you for letting me know", or "I have discussed X's behaviour/ attitude with him/her."

Or just date and initial it - the point is that the teacher knows you know what your DC has been up to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now