Talk

Advanced search

Hoping to get as far as an interview for first Teaching job, any advice?

(8 Posts)
pinkrocker Sat 04-Feb-17 14:25:00

I'm a single Mum of two DCs, 9 & 11.
I'm due to graduate this year, and it would be amazing to have a job to start in September!
(I trained as a Primary Teacher, I'll be 42 when I get QTS. I started when EXH left, wanting to never have to rely on anyone else's income.)
What could I say on the covering letter that says "pick me!!"

Sleeperandthespindle Sat 04-Feb-17 14:38:35

Read the jobseekers pages in the TES staff room website. The rest of the site has been awful for many years now, but the job seeking advice is excellent.

pinkrocker Sat 04-Feb-17 16:53:11

Fab, thank you.

70ontheinside Sun 05-Feb-17 12:33:20

Read the job ad carefully, have a look at the school's website and see how they roll.
Visiting the school you are going to apply for is the done thing in the state sector (job ad should say "we welcome your visit prior to interview" or so).
Be interested, enthusiastic and genuine.

Rainbowcolours1 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:18:25

Please be yourself when you write. I get so many applications for NQT posts that read as though they've all used the same template and swallowed a thesaurus. Talk about what you've done on placements to illustrates points you make and link in with your life experiences.

noblegiraffe Sun 05-Feb-17 15:20:20

I just saw this on twitter and thought it might be useful to help you structure covering letters/answer interview questions.

Heirhelp Sun 05-Feb-17 15:23:25

Definitely give examples. Read their Ofsted report closely especially the recommendations and give example of how you can do that without referring to Ofsted. Whatever Ofsted recommended will probably be a focus for them.

pinkrocker Tue 07-Feb-17 21:07:48

Thanks so much!
I've been going through their Ofsted (2013) report, and although I'm sure that they will have addressed the issues, I've got examples of how I've used teaching in a certain way to address those issues, would this still be a valid thing to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now