Talk

Advanced search

Can I earn a living doing supply?

(11 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Fri 27-Jan-17 19:56:02

I'm a primary RQT and single mum to 2 primary aged dcs. I had a fantastic NQT year in a different school last year but it was unfortunately, a 12 month contract. To say I'm finding my current school tough, is something of an understatement. I want to leave but there's nothing else around at the moment. I'm seriously considering handing in my notice at Easter and hoping something suitable comes up (and I get it!) after Easter. There is, however, a risk that I won't get anything.

So... I know it depends on area etc., but does anyone have experience of making an equivalent full time salary doing supply (with maybe some SATS tutoring alongside?). I could work 5 days but would have some restrictions in terms of location because of childcare arrangements (can only drop at breakfast club at 7.30).

I would hope it would only be until I got a suitable permanent post but, in the meantime, I'm obviously worried about being able to keep a roof over my dcs' heads!

Any thoughts please?

monkeysox Fri 27-Jan-17 20:56:32

I had no work this week. Two days last week and a call asking me to do a maternity cover full time from april. It's hit and miss.

temporarilyjerry Sat 28-Jan-17 05:42:00

It depends on where you live. I live in a city in the West Midlands and have been offered work every day this week and am always getting texts about long term posts. I'm only with one agency at the moment but am going to join more.
I left my job at Christmas and am loving having my evenings and weekends to myself.
If you could stick it out till July, you would be paid for the Summer but you need to think about your own well-being.

user1483390742 Sat 28-Jan-17 07:25:37

I did supply for 4 years when my kids were young. The first term was hit and miss, but once i got established in a couple of schools, i ended up there most of the time- approx 3 days per week. After a couple of terms I was also fortunate enough to be able to take advance bookings only, so no early morning calls!
I really enjoyed it- no planning, meetings etc.
I now have a part- time permanent job in one of those schools.
Only downside was no holiday pay!
It suited me when i needed flexibility (no family locally to look after sick littl'uns).
I'm in the Midlands, by the way.

Tillyscoutsmum Sat 28-Jan-17 10:00:31

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the Midlands too so that gives me hope!!

I think I'll definitely hold out until the year end so I can get holiday pay. I'd been told by someone that I need to give a full term's notice (hence considering handing it in at Easter) but I've double checked and I can do it end of May, leave at the end of the year but be paid until end of August smile That seems much less scary!

Thanks again all

temporarilyjerry Sat 28-Jan-17 13:55:40

I've PMed you.

BizzyFizzy Sat 28-Jan-17 18:53:17

I did two years of supply following a very long (8-year) maternity leave. I started out in daily supply with an agency but soon signed up directly with a school, who provided me with work for, on average, 4 days a week.

My son's school had their science teacher on long term sick leave so I stepped in and had a good 4 months with them (with a reference). I then did another two block contracts and daily supply (in one school) before securing a permanent job.

The latter end of my daily supply went from a fairly secure 4-5 days a week to 1-2 days due to the introduction of cover supervisors.

I did pretty well financially out of my two years of supply. The daily rates are in line with standard teacher salaries. I pretty much worked as much as I wanted.

When you are doing supply teaching, you have to keep in mind your long term career goals. Mine was to land a permanent job in the right school and I managed that. This meant making sure that the all important reference was on the horizon.

I think supply teaching is a great asset to your career. There is nothing like doing short stints in a variety of schools to pump up your experience (block work rather than daily supply).

Supply teaching is a very valid career move and not a sign of failure.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:44:57

There will be jobs coming up all over the place between now and April to beat the May 31st resignation deadline.

CremeEggThief Tue 31-Jan-17 17:16:40

Honestly, no. I've been on and off primary supply since 2011, back doing it again for agencies since May 2016 and I get between 1 and 3 days a week. I see it as treat money and it pays for days out and holidays.

thethoughtfox Tue 31-Jan-17 17:56:13

Generally, once you are know in a few schools, they will contact you and request you back. If you can try to make it look like you are working when in the staffroom. I know teachers hate that when supply staff are obviously not working while they are up to their ears in marking.

MerylPeril Tue 31-Jan-17 18:05:22

I do school cover - we never use teachers for one odd days (we use cover supervisors). We only get qualified teachers for long term sick.
So it's very hit and miss I think - most of the supply teachers I speak to don't rely on the job entirely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now