Talk

Advanced search

Help. How do I get this job?

(6 Posts)
Iamcheeseman Wed 25-Jan-17 21:38:25

I'm primary trained. Have spent my whole career (9 years) teaching upper ks2 in a junior school.
I'm moving counties and have found a job doing the same part time as now in a school that's just perfect for me. But it's teaching reception.
I'd LOVE to teach reception. I never planned on staying at my current school so long as I always wanted to flick between older ones and younger ones.
Everything about this job is perfect for me and exactly what I want but how do I make myself stand out and make them give the job to me?
Looking at my career on paper I wouldn't give me the job so why on earth would they? Someone with reception experience will apply and I won't get a look in.

Only things I can think to add to strengthen my case are that I did one of my placements at uni in reception and one in year 1 and that I've got a 3 year old so have researched the eyfs very thoroughly.

Any help with how to make my application good will be appreciated!

Needmorewine Thu 26-Jan-17 22:30:21

No idea but following with interest, doing a 5-11 Primary PGCE and no reception experience but it just really appeals !

Iamcheeseman Fri 27-Jan-17 08:29:51

A few of my friends were offered jobs teaching reception when we left uni despite being 5-11 trained Needmorewine. It didn't seem to be a problem. Having spent nearly a decade in upper primary though I'm worried my application will just be ignored.

thatone Fri 27-Jan-17 09:08:12

At my school even without recent experience, if you showed enthusiasm and knowledge of the Early Years curriculum, you would stand a very good chance.

Read up on Development Matters and the Early Learning Goals and talk about the benefits of child-initiated learning and of setting up engaging and age-appropriate activities. Also do some reading on how children of this acquire understanding.

I think if you can explain your interest, perhaps through your experiences with your own child, you will be seriously considered.

rollonthesummer Fri 27-Jan-17 09:13:56

At any school around here, if you showed up for the interview and were a qualified teacher, you'd probably be offered a job.

There are teaching assistants taking classes full time, classes being split, endless streams of daily supplies-there is a huge recruitment and retention crisis and things are very difficult.

I wouldn't worry.

Needmorewine Fri 27-Jan-17 10:52:06

Thanks Iam - good luck !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now