Talk

Advanced search

Can't face staying until July

(7 Posts)
u123 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:50:17

Every Sunday I feel dread for the next week and think how I can stick it out until July...

I used to love my job. I'm not many years into teaching but can't see it as a long term prospect any more. I can't cope with the workload. I can't barely keep up with the bare minimum.

How have people coped and managed to survive for seven months ?

PamplemousseRouge Mon 16-Jan-17 02:46:02

flowers

PamplemousseRouge Mon 16-Jan-17 02:50:01

Hi u123 sorry I posted too soon! I'm so sorry to hear that you feel like that. How did you feel before the Christmas holidays or around Octobe half term last year? Have you only started feeling like this recently, or have these feelings been around for a while? I'm so sorry again to hear this. I started teacher training last September, and really, really struggled. I actually resigned before Christmas, in the middle of November. Well done for doing so well and for keeping up with it for so long.

thatone Mon 16-Jan-17 06:31:47

I feel the stress a lot too. Don't think I slept at all last night as everything I had to do was going around in my head. But for me, I think it will pass as I can pinpoint the cause of the anxiety and do things a bit differently to handle it better? If that is not an option for you then you should look into other options. WhyJuly though? If desperate you can leave at Easter surely?

IllMetByMoonlight Mon 16-Jan-17 07:07:14

I really feel for you, and I have been in your position too, it really is wretched. I feel so cross on your behalf, as you, as a relatively new teacher should be supported, not over-loaded. Workload is also subjective, as in it varies from school to school. My very relaxed head has a great deal of confidence in us as a staff team and would never ask for unnecessary (which frankly I think some of the crap some colleagues in other schools have to put up with sad ) or excessive work to be carried out. We're still very busy, and that is the nature of the job, but I have never had that awful feeling you describe since starting to work here (and it was fairly constant in my previous school). Please don't drive yourself crazy trying to cope if it really is too much, it's probably not you, but the school you're in. Find the earliest opportunity you can to get out (and I don't say that lightly, but speaking from experience as someone who did just walk out of my very first job, convinced I would never be employed again, but so desperate I just couldn't stay), regroup, do some supply work and reconsider when you have had the chance to put a safe distance between you and a toxic situation. I am now a couple of decades into teaching, absolutely adore my job, but am under no illusions about the profession; it can be brutal.

u123 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:53:50

At my last job I loved it. It was like you said, relaxed head who left our department get on with it because they trusted us. It was busy but never felt overwhelming.

I can pinpoint where the stress is coming from but I don't think it's going to change.

I could leave at Easter but if I stay until July at least the children get the whole year with a teacher (I don't think they'd be able to re recruit positions often get no applications ) and I can get paid over the summer (from a selfish point of view)

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sun 22-Jan-17 08:41:46

Go sick.

I am going back but I am going back to work after a 'hiatus' but I am wary and unsure.
If that fear is still there, my notice is going in. Actually, it is anyways as I have two career opportunities for this September and luckily my lifestyle doesn't require the security of a second income.

My boss doesn't know although they would like me to leave like now but I am doing it in my terms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now