Talk

Advanced search

Had a private tuition request

(6 Posts)
CeeBeeBee Mon 09-Jan-17 19:06:41

I work part time at an FE college and I've been approached for tuition in maths by a colleague. If I take this student on, she will be my only tutee. I've asked to meet her with her mum (colleague) at a cafe for an initial consultation as I'd like to know about her needs first. If I decide to make this a regular thing, what sort of things would I need to consider? I would be looking to charge £20/hour which would still be below the tax threshold. I know this sounds daft but will I still need to contact the HMRC about self employment even for 1 hour a week? Also, is it ok to use a coffee shop or library for this purpose on a weekly basis? Any advice appreciated.

CeeBeeBee Mon 09-Jan-17 19:07:02

Thanks in advance. smile

TaggieRR Mon 09-Jan-17 19:08:33

I would think that technically you would have to do a self assessment form to declare the additional income, even if it isn't much

Ninjapie Mon 09-Jan-17 19:12:12

You should register with HMRC even for one student. £20 is on the low side for GCSE.
I tutor and I always go to students house although it's quite common to have students coming to you. I'm not sure I'd be happy with the distractions in a cafe.

GHGN Thu 12-Jan-17 11:56:09

Depend on where you are in the country and local demand but I think £20/hour is low. Don't sell yourself short.
It is ok to tutor anywhere but take into account the noise in a cafe for example.

Eolian Thu 12-Jan-17 12:01:01

You don't necessarily need to fill in an actual Self Assessment return if you earn under £2500 untaxed per year. I'm a teacher who does a bit of tutoring and had registered for self assessment because I assumed I had to. But I phoned hmrc and they said as long as my untaxed earnings were below £2500 I can phone up, tell them my earnings and they will take any tax I owe off through my tax code.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now